Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stripology ruler question >

Stripology ruler question

Stripology ruler question

Old 07-27-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This "tennis elbow" isn't able to be helped with physical therapy? My SIL is a PT and she says rest, anti-inflammatories, ice, and therapy can all help. It's a common ache that is usually healed easily and with minor treatment, she told me.
I have used all the therapies you mentioned and acupuncture and ultrasound also. The elbow gets better and then I go back to quilting and it occurs again. I have been dealing with it for over two years. Something has to change.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

I do a lot of rotary cutting, at least 6 days a week. So far I have been lucky and not had a problem. I do have my cutting table at the right height for me. If need be I can also cut on dining table, which is shorter.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 AM

I have learned to cut small pieces and strips left handed so I'm sure you could train yourself with a stripology ruler. I have to agree with Prism and Onebyone about getting a Go or die cutter. It might be a good investment giving your reoccurring condition.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 AM

I love the Stripology ruler but unless you are ambidextrous .....not sure that it will solve your problem. I can never switch over to be a lefty. There ARE different rotarty cutters that are angle adjustable . Fiskars has one.

190180-1001
Fiskars Adjustable Handle 45mm Rotary Cutter

https://www.checkerdist.com/products/190180-1001

you might have to ask a quilt shop to order one for you if you can't find one. Worth a shot.

sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 07-28-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:23 AM

When I first started using a rotary cutter I taught myself to use both left and right and as I taught classes I encouraged students to do the same I'm left handed so throughout my life have had to learn to use both. i only use an Olfa which can be used with either hand.
Get some old worn out sheets something that was to be tossed and teach yourself to use your left (very friendly) hand just go a bit slower and just cut refold and cut somemore :-)
i sometimes use stripology but find that sometimes getting the blade into the slot ackward but it does work.
if you consistantly cut strips i highly recommend the Accu-quilt electric system. im older now and invested in one about 3 years ago and it has served me very well. stay well and continue this wonderful art form!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 AM

I am a lefty but frequently use my right hand if its inconvenient to flip the fabric around to cut it. The stripology ruler does have the gripy stuff on every strip, so I think it would stay put if you used your non dominant hand. Just make sure you keep the pressure down until you get to the end. I have used it with both hands. I have MS so I do what ever I need to do at the time.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:34 AM

I love my stripology ruler, although I've never tried using it with my non-dominant hand. I also have a Accuquilt Baby Go, but find turning the handle harder than rotary cutting. I would love to have an electric one though!. I'm also thinking about getting a Scan'n'Cut machine that needs no expensive dies. However I have yet to find anyone who has used one for cutting quilt blocks. I've posted the question on this board, but almost everyone says it's not for quilting because you can only cut one layer of fabric at a time. However, you can use a larger piece of fabric and duplicate the shape many times which would seem as good as cutting one shape through several layers of fabric. There's also many quilt blocks built into the machine. However I've never seen it demoed and don't know who much prep goes into making the cuts.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
I have used all the therapies you mentioned and acupuncture and ultrasound also. The elbow gets better and then I go back to quilting and it occurs again. I have been dealing with it for over two years. Something has to change.
I too struggled with tennis elbow for years. Went through all the treatments you mentioned. Then the orthopedic told me about a strap to wear just under the elbow on the fore arm. It puts tension on the tendon. It took a while but it really helped. You can get them at any pharmacy or even Walmart.
I still have to wear it on occasion if I have been cutting out fabric for a while or scrubbing something. Worth a try in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 AM

If you decide to get a Accuquilt be sure it is the electric one or your elbow will get sore from cranking the others. I have a regular one and sometimes it takes some effort to crank it through.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:59 AM

I cut with both hands; takes a little more concentration to cut with the non dominant hand but can be done.
Good luck.