Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stripology ruler question >

Stripology ruler question

Stripology ruler question

Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 AM

Question Stripology ruler question

I am right handed and have elbow tendonitis. I think using a rotary cutter is the primary cause of my tendonitis. It may be called "tennis" elbow, but it is really "quilters" elbow in my case.

I was wondering if using a Stripology ruler I would be able to cut fabric using my left hand. I am looking for ways to continue quilting.

Thanks,
Elise
Old 07-27-2017, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

have you tried changing the height of your cutting surface?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 AM

I routinely cut left handed with a regular ruler. You need a rotary cutter that blade can be switched sides or can be cut with either side such as the Olfa. It just takes practice if you are right handed.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:13 AM

I would recommend a die cutter. They are spendy, but I just buy a few dies at a time when they are on sale. You still need to do some rotary cutting, but not a lot of it.

But I have cut left handed with my shape cut as well as regular rulers. Just realize you will make more cutting mistakes until you get more comfortable using your opposite hand.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 AM

I sometimes cut left handed but it does take some practice, start small and work your way up. You might also consider a klutz glove just to be safe if you try.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM

Since this tennis elbow is not going away, I too, suggest a die cutter, and buy a few dies at a time when they are on sale.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I could ever successfully cut with my non-dominant hand. For one thing, I am very dominantly handed. For another, it's not that easy for me to cut accurately even with my best hand!

I also recommend getting a die cutter. It's an investment, but it's an investment that will pay off for you in better health. Although more expensive than the hand crank, I would invest in Accuquilt's new electric dye cutter. There is a Yahoo group for Accuquilt users and everyone who has posted there who had the hand crank and then purchased the electric said the electric is worth every penny.

I recommend purchasing Accuquilt dies only as you need them. Decide on your next quilt, purchase the dies for it, and don't purchase again until you have made a decision about your next quilt. It's easy to go overboard on purchasing dies and then have them sit unused for a long time. (Do not ask me how I know this!)

Here's a link to the Accuquilt die cutter I am talking about:
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-big...arter-set.html
Chances are fair that it will go on sale sometime around Black Friday.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-27-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

I suggest the Go. I bought one long ago. I thought well if cutting may cause me pain later on then why not prevent it now. I do 99% of my cutting with dies. Seldom have to use my rotary cutter except to cut fabric to fit the die blade and then I usually use precuts to fit the blades. My life is getting to short to be thinking of things to save except time.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
have you tried changing the height of your cutting surface?
More than a year ago I put bed risers under my cutting table so that it would be at the right height.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:20 PM

This "tennis elbow" isn't able to be helped with physical therapy? My SIL is a PT and she says rest, anti-inflammatories, ice, and therapy can all help. It's a common ache that is usually healed easily and with minor treatment, she told me.

Last edited by Peckish; 07-27-2017 at 04:23 PM.