Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Owners of The Stripology Ruler

Blog Entries

Owners of The Stripology Ruler

I was thinking about getting this ruler. Do you use it a lot, does it cut many different shapes, is it worth $55 dollars in your opinion? Anything you could let me know I would sure appreciate it.

I use it all the time. It cuts strips and squares very fast. It is worth the money. Oh be sure to use a coupon or something and shop around. I did not pay $55. Also the shorter one is just fine. No need to get the extra long one.
    Anna Quilts

There is only one size for the Stripology ruler by Creative Grids. I love mine. It has 1/2" increments to cut but it also has 1/4" markings that are helpful if you need to move the ruler over 1/4". It has the grips that Creative Grids is known for. There is an outline for cutting the 10" "layer cakes" . I use it to cut 2 1/2" strips and then turn the ruler to continue to cut 2 1/2" squares quickly". I love mine.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
    I use it all the time. It cuts strips and squares very fast. It is worth the money. Oh be sure to use a coupon or something and shop around. I did not pay $55. Also the shorter one is just fine. No need to get the extra long one.
    I think that you are confusing it with the June Tailor Strip Smart.
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I love mine. I can cut lots of strips in no time at all. The advantage of the
    Stripology ruler is that it does not slip. The only shapes you can cut are
    squares and rectangles. If you watch the videos on Youtube you'll get a
    better idea.

Don't know how I lived without it, lol. Seriously, it's the bomb! No slipping, easy to read markings, everything that Creative Grids are known for.
    aka Gale

I love mine too. It was a gift. I would buy another one if I lost this one. I haven't used my June Taylor Shape Cut rulers since I have had this one.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

This one looks much more efficient than the June Taylor Pro shape I have.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I just got one and am excited to use it.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I have the June Taylor one and I really like it and use it a lot. I wan't ready to splurge on the stripology one. I used a coupon and got it fairly cheap at JoAnne's. Stripology has some nice features the June Taylor doesn't . If $$ isn't an issue, go for the stripology.

I LOVE my Stripology ruler.
    I like to make my cuts fast with this ruler so I have to mark the slots with a piece of tape just to make sure I'm cutting in the correct slots. Yeah, ask me how many times I've accidentally cut in the wrong slot!
    Sheep Farmer by day ~ Learning to Quilt by night

I use it constantly. I cut a lot of scraps. Very accurate, doesn't slip, the slots are not wobbly like the June Taylor. I used the June Taylor for years and bought this last year. One of my most used tools.

Blog Entries
    I don't have this tool, but I have researched it.

The only shapes you can cut are squares and rectangles.
    It does has the angled lines to cut other shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab9A1Ue3fw

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
    I don't have this tool, but I have researched it.

It does has the angled lines to cut other shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab9A1Ue3fw
    Oops. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didn't pay enough attention to what
    that ruler can do.

I have the Shape Cut, but want the Stripology ruler. I love that it has the 1/4" markings as well.

Blog Entries
    EasyPeezy-I took your name off the quote, wanting to be not-in-your-face. Thanks for not being annoyed.

Hmmm, maybe I should think about getting the stripology ruler. I pretty much totally tank with the June Taylor. I have notched some of the entry points, making it difficult to start. I wobble pretty badly, too. So, the stripology is more stable? Sounds very intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    I think that you are confusing it with the June Tailor Strip Smart.
    sandy
    Yes, I did. thank you for clarifying. I also own the June Taylor 1/4 inch slot one and the longer one but nearly always use the shorter one. The stripology one sounds like fun too.
    Anna Quilts

LOVE Stripology (and CG rulers in general). Works so much better for me than my June Taylor Shape Cut.

I have a June Tailor Shape Cut Pro that I used once and decided that it would probably make a better frisbee than what it was meant for. It slipped something awful, not to mention the wobbly slots that someone else talked about. It left me with a pile of crooked strips...so frustrating.

I would love to get a Stripology ruler but with Christmas right around the corner, I just can't afford it. I decided to see if I could fix the June Tailor ruler to make it work better by putting Nexcare tape around the edges on the back and thin strips of tape between the slots.

So far, it seems to work a little too well, because now the fabric sticks to the bottom of the ruler! (I can pick the ruler up and the fabric actually stays there!) BUT, I think I'm headed in the right direction because it absolutely doesn't slip now and I can cut some beautifully straight strips. I think I need to take some of the tape off and figure out just how much I need on there to make it work right.

So if anybody else has one of these rulers that they're not using because of the slippage problem, you might want to try this. Just don't completely cover the back with tape!
    Last edited by SherylM; 12-04-2015 at 06:48 PM.
    Sheryl

I use mine a lot and really like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lswan View Post
    I use it constantly. I cut a lot of scraps. Very accurate, doesn't slip, the slots are not wobbly like the June Taylor. I used the June Taylor for years and bought this last year. One of my most used tools.
    I like my stripology ruler so much better than the June Taylor ruler which I too used for years. The June Taylor is wobbly
    and does slip - haven't had that problem with the stripology ruler. Got mine using my birthday discount at one of our local quilt stores - it is expensive but my cutting is so improved I would probably pay full price if I had to replace it.
    I use it to cut strips an sub cut them. Will eventually learn how to use the lines to cut other shapes but it really is a strip cutting ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I love mine. I can cut lots of strips in no time at all. The advantage of the
    Stripology ruler is that it does not slip. The only shapes you can cut are
    squares and rectangles. If you watch the videos on Youtube you'll get a
    better idea.
    If I'm not mistaken, you can cut diamonds as well.
    I own both the JT and the CG rulers. I like the CG one better bc it's a thicker acrylic so the rotary cutter is held in its cutting groove.
    For me, it's about the process; the final outcome is incidental