Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help from Featherweight owners... >

Help from Featherweight owners...

Help from Featherweight owners...

Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Karen I have to tell you, I felt like you do, I wanted one but I refuse to pay the outrageous prices for the cuteness factor. I waited and watched for two years before I found one and finally scooped one up for $50. In all honesty, yes it's cute and all but it's just too small for me to take it seriously. I like the muscle factor of my full size vintage machines so I rarely use it and will be giving it to my GD in a few years. Just last year I totally scooped on an original cabinet for it at a garage sale for $25. The deals are out there if you're willing to be patient. And as for color, depending on which one you want the prices go way up. Besides the three mentioned, the rarest FW is the crinkle finish.

Cari
totally agree with you. If I'm going to do some major sewing, I'm comfortable with my computerized Baby Lock Symphony. I like all the bells & whistles on it.

Since this was an unexpected gift, I will mainly use this for classes / travel.

I was curious about paint colors and found a site that does have several colors (including my favorite, purple). But, no way I'm paying almost $500 just to change the color. I'm happy with its original black.

Bargains are out there. Just got to keep an eye out for them.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM

I have a FW 221, the carry case isn't in the best shape but still very useable. It didn't have any accessories or manual so I purchased all of them so it would be complete. The FW is what I learned to sew on, that was in the early 1960's. I bought this FW about 3 years ago and still haven't used it! It runs like a dream and can't even hear the motor running. I would sell it .... live in Southern Illinois. You can send a private email to me if anyone is interested. I get it out every so often just to clean and oil it. Boston Mom
Old 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM

I forgot to add the mobility of taking the FW 221 anywhere you want to go. All you have to do is use it and be in love, even though I haven't used mine in a long time. If I don't sell it and then will hand it down to my Great Granddaughter, she already loves to sew. Boston Mom
Old 08-03-2017, 04:53 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by kch1983 View Post
That table is to die for!!! Will your husband take orders? ;-)
It took me a couple of years to finally get him to tackle this table. He is not happy with the way the wood on the doors took the stain so may replace them. He calls his first attempt at anything a prototype and always says the next one will be better. Will he make another? I don't know but maybe. I'll be glad to get to use this one soon.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:05 AM

I just purchased my 1st featherweight! I, too, love vintage machines! I did not Need one, just wanted one! Mine is being treated to a spa treatment right now, and cannot wait until I get her home and begin sewing on her! There are worse addictions out there....sewing machines and fabric are my weaknesses, and I'm proud to say it!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-11-2017, 06:29 AM

Well, you are one lucky woman that he will even tackle a 'prototype'! It's lovely. :-)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boston Mom View Post
I have a FW 221, the carry case isn't in the best shape but still very useable. It didn't have any accessories or manual so I purchased all of them so it would be complete. The FW is what I learned to sew on, that was in the early 1960's. I bought this FW about 3 years ago and still haven't used it! It runs like a dream and can't even hear the motor running. I would sell it .... live in Southern Illinois. You can send a private email to me if anyone is interested. I get it out every so often just to clean and oil it. Boston Mom
My case is in good shape but you have to watch using them. My OSMG told me she has seen the handle come off more than one just because it's so old. I transport mine in my larger sewing machine tote on wheels right in the carrying case. I'm looking to buy a Tutto at Quilt Festival this year as my old tote is starting shed black stuff all over. I guess after 25 years they do that.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

I just saw a "wrinkle" finish FW go for over 2200.00 on Ebay. I know they're rare but YIKES!
Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM

I really love my 4 girls, and the ones I gave or sold to friends, I really did not need 8 FW so gave up a few. Now I know the purest will have a fit but 3 of my girls are repainted, I do so love color! I have one black, green, blue, and hot pink! I also got the book and CD by David McCallum " The Featherweight and I" it tells how to do any oil, greese and repair job you could ever want, I am so Not mecanical, LOL can't even spell it, but I so get how to with this book and CD. I really do love the girls, I also bought new 221 cases for the ones that did not come with a case, so should last. I hope all who want a FW find one at a great price!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-06-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 PM

I had a sewing project underway and my Pfaff Creative's motherboard died on me. I pulled my Featherweight out of the closet and finished the project with it. The Featherweight is an incredible sewing machine. This one is my MIL's from 1940 or so. The stitches are even and very tiny. I was sewing handwoven fabric and it just went right through the fabric as easily as my Pfaff. And it hadn't been used in - I'd say 10 years. Before I purchased the Pfaff, I used the Featherweight for everything. I made at least 10 quilts on it. And it is still going strong. My MIL made all her own clothes on it. And it's tiny and lightweight.