Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pewa88 View Post
It is an investment but a good one. I had a GO regular but recently got a GO Big (bought it used) and I love it. I am able to cut accurately and quickly and save my hands from the joint pain I experience from rotary cutting. I know without a doubt as I get older it will keep me physically able to enjoy quilting. I also find it invaluable to help organize scraps into useable sizes for scrap quilts, which are my favorite.
I am able to cut accurately and quickly and save my hands from the joint pain I experience from rotary cutting.

Yes, this!

I just checked Craig's List-
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...203386090.html
this one is set up for quilting dies.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-20-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Power Poster

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks!
The overwhelming majority seem to really like having it.

Not sure yet what I'll do. I need to see one in person I think and also the dies. I love scrappy quilts and like the idea of cutting shapes and having them ready when a project comes to mind.
The precision it offers is a real draw for me also.
It would also be something my kids can get me for occasions (the dies) or gift card for one etc.
Annaquilts- I'm going to check out that Sizzix- thanks for your post.
Thanks to all!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

The Studio is now foldable! You can buy the conversion kit for the old ones to make them foldable. It was on sale last year for $99 with free shipping. Takes up much less room.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 PM

My first experience with the Accuquilt GO! (not the BIG, which is electric -and wonderful) was when a member of my quilting group brought her new one in; she cut strips for us, and it was great! Because of arthritis in my hands, I buy a lot of pre-cuts, so I was very interested in this machine. Each of us used it, and even though it isn't electric, it was not at all difficult to turn the handle. I decided I wanted one, but money for me is an issue, so I planned on saving up for one. Beyond that expense, of course, is the cost of the dies, and I really had to think about whether I wanted to make such an investment. When I was informed by my neurosurgeon that I have to have lumbar spinal fusion surgery, my decision became obvious. I just bought the Accuquilt GO! about three weeks ago. Knowing that I will be able to sit at my sewing machine and quilt quilt-top pieces together BUT not be able to cut fabric, at least not by hand, I have purchased dies to pre-cut quilt tops before surgery (and maybe during my recovery time). For example, knowing that I wanted to make a single Irish chain quilt, I cut several squares with the 2.5" section of the die that comes with the machine. While 100% accurate in cutting, it seemed slow to me, so my first additional die purchase was a die that has nine -2.5" cuts; cutting four layers, I was able to cut 36-2.5" squares at once. Need I say more? What a time saver! I also purchased a 5" square die and a 6.5" die; this week I will have finished pre-cutting five (maybe six) quilt tops, and all I have to do is sew them together as I recuperate from surgery. My next two purchases will be the 6.5" triangle and the 2.5" strip die. In short, although the dies are expensive, if you have a plan, purchasing your dies over time for specific purposes, I think you find it is worth the expense.

I am thrilled with the decision I have made. Based on your statement that you do a lot of quilting, I think this is a purchase you would come to appreciate.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 PM

I love my Go! Big!

If you go to accuquilt.com and then to menu, you are able to put your zip code in the store locator. Place a check by Signature dealer. That is how I found out I had one close to me.

Also, if you are on Facebook, ask to join Accuquilt and Beyond. Lots of good information and pictures. The group is also very helpful in answering questions.

Connie
Old 08-20-2017, 06:13 PM

Hi Sue, Thank you for being so kind. And you're right the dies are very expensive. Actually, ours is the Accucut Die Cutting Machine. There is also a company called Accucquilt, owned by the same parent company. There is a website called lovebugstudios.com that can clarify it all if you are interested. Accucut actually is having a sale on them right now and you'd probably make out just as well. I think they even have a starter set to go with the purchase.
We love our doggy too
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Got the Accuquilt Go BIG 2 Christmases ago and bought the strip bundle (use it ALL the time) and then the 12" Qube and the Qube Companion for this past Christmas. i also bought some dies from a Board member and get some on sale if I plan to do a quilt using that die.
I LOVE my Go Big--I have arthritis and just can't cut a whole quilt without major problems with my hand and shoulder. And it is much more accurate than what I can do--makes a difference in my precision.

It took awhile for me to figure out storage of the dies--the Qube and Companion come in box sets, so that was easy. Then i bought file folder racks at Walmart and set those under a shelf and put the smaller ones slotted in them. My long dies--like for log cabin and the strip bundle, i bought a wall mounted file sort rack at an office supply and laid one on each rack shelf--yes they are flat, but not stacked on each other, which is the no-no. my Go is on a lower table all the time.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pennylane View Post
Hi Sue, Thank you for being so kind. And you're right the dies are very expensive. Actually, ours is the Accucut Die Cutting Machine. There is also a company called Accucquilt, owned by the same parent company. There is a website called lovebugstudios.com that can clarify it all if you are interested. Accucut actually is having a sale on them right now and you'd probably make out just as well. I think they even have a starter set to go with the purchase.
We love our doggy too
I have the GO and am not regretting the purchase at alli. Have a collection of dies too, bought before Qubes came out. Curiosity made me look into the above mentioned site-accucut- and it seems the dies offered there would be more for applique. I did not see any basic shapes- square, triangkes, etc......may have missed them.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:35 AM

I have the crank go. Love it!! My fabric always cuts so nice, and quickly too. The dies are pricy but worth it in my book. I just buy the ones I use, I have a few that were closeouts at JAF that I never used...yet! If they are an amazing bargain, they will be coming home with me! When I reach a stage that I can no longer turn the crank, I will get a grandchild to do the turning or buy the electric!
Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 AM

I love my GO but I have found out that there are things to consider:

Keep it out in the open so you can use it more often.
Iron your fabric before using it
Fabric should be on lengthwise grain
Dies are horribly expensive
Dies do not last forever and sometimes not very long at all (my 2.5" lasted a few months)
Storage of Dies is important on their sides which take up room
Plastic covers cost money too and they wear out often
Still have to cut fabric to fit the dies properly.

I do like my dies and hand crank GO but I don't use it nearly as often as I thought. Probably due to not having a good table nearby to put it out on so it's handy. My main sewing room is a small bedroom in our house.