Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Someone asked about using strip dies with the Sizzix Bigshot Pro. You can use them, but you need to have the extended tray and appropriate adaptors so that the entire length of the die fits into the tray.

I love my Bigshot Pro. It does take up room, but I can use it with just about any brand of die with adaptors. Mine stays out and I use it several times a week. It has helped a lot with scrap management and also accuracy.

Rob
Old 08-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Due to a serious injury it is very hard for me to use the rotary cutter. My hubby has gotten me the studio and the go big. I have also had dies made for me for charity work. I started out with a go but if you can get one that does more. I got hooked very quickly and would never use anything else. Yes you might have to clip a few threads but saving in time is really worth it. Dies are expensive so start out with a few strip dies, squares, what you think you will use the most.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM

I have the Studio 2 and also purchased the Go! for our second home. I love them! Use them every time I quilt.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
In retrospect, I'd rather have not bought one. I have the regular Go: The cranking will wear your elbow out! Once the dies get dull, you have tons of threads to clip. If you put too much fabric in them, the stack of fabric slides and your squares come out with curved edges. I've had this happen even with the recommended six layers. I would say, unless you are cutting kits in quantity, it's just not worth all that money to save a little bit of time in cutting.
I feel the same way about my Accuquilt Go I bought it on major sale several years ago around the holidays and have not made my money back yet. My biggest problem is that I do not have the Go set up all the time. I have to get it out of the bag, put it on a table etc. That is probably the biggest reason I do not use it very often.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 PM

Also look into the Sizzix , esp if you are a Missouri Star Quilt Co & Jenny Doan, they make dies for her projects. Plus the Accuquilt dies can be used on it & Sizzix dies less expensive. I have the larger model & the smaller one to take to Stitch Camp. I love Sizzix!
Old 08-24-2017, 07:49 AM

I like it for rag quilt blocks and for curved pieces. Otherwise, my Stripology and Shape Cut rulers let me cut most straight-sided shapes really quickly and easily and with less waste than using the dies. Dies get dull and are more costly to replace than rotary blades. I've also gotten a bad die that was 1/8" off in one direction.

When I get older and start getting arthritis, I can see how the powered GO would be a good addition, but for now I'm young enough that cutting with my rotary cutter & rulers is my preferred method for most shapes.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM

I buy fabric by the yard so the GO is not convieniet to use. I don't want to waste any fabric by cutting it to size for the GO just to crank it thought the machine.
Huh? I rarely pre cut yardage for the Go. Fan fold it and crank through. Lots of you tube videos how to use a yard of fabric on the Go.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:50 AM

Innov8R, Thanks so much for posting the pic of your setup. DH came up with a great idea.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:22 PM

I got my Go! this spring. My hands were beginning to hurt just using scissors and rotary cutters, so had quit quilting (for the most part). I'm burning through the awful 1980's stash in the basement quickly. I'm on my 3rd scappy quilt. I love it. I'm not worried about the 'waste', because the fabric is now being used for its intended purpose. A very freeing feeling. I purchased 2 dies with the cutter, and just ordered 3 more last week. Just my two cents.