Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics >

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Big Box "quilt fabrics" vs quilting store quilt fabrics

Old 08-23-2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
I was in JoAnn's yesterday and picked up some small amounts of fabric. I usually buy FQ. There i had to buy 1/4 yd pieces. I saw their new fabric at $14.00 per yard and kept walking. They have no competition anymore without Hancocks.
I really miss Hancocks.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I just had to throw this out there! I recently completed a King Size + several inches both ways. The yardage required: 25 yards. Had I shopped at a LQS, paying $15-$20 a yard, I could have spent $500+ for just the top fabric. Now, I don't make large numbers of quilts, but even so, I could not begin to afford $500 per quilt, just for top material. Then you have your thread, batting, backing, binding, borders, etc. I have to pinch pennies to comply with my budget restrictions. I would NOT be making quilts at all if I had to spend $500 just for top material! I buy what I can afford, and I don't feel "picked-on" because I can't afford LQS Fabrics. It's a matter of priorities, ladies!
I agree about priorities. But LQS fabric around Dallas Fort Worth metroplex is not that expensive more like $10 to $13 dollars per yard.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:16 AM

To be clear, I buy plenty of fabric at JoAnn's, but hardly ever the fat quarters except the bundled ones. I have never been disappointed by my choices. I bought a blender at WalMart because the color was perfect. After washing, it was so thin I had to back it with interfacing to use it. LQS - I would say I only buy sale items and small finishing amounts, except I am a sucker for Timeless Treasure panels. Show one of those in the right colors and it will go home with me, though I do try to shop my stash for coordinates.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
In the 90s when I worked at JoAnn's (back in the days when they had decent quilting cottons), WalMart had the exact print in several fabrics as JoAnn's. On closer inspection, they were off color and flimsier fabric. Misprints?? Samples that weren't accepted?? Who knows, but they weren't the same. We will have to touch the fabrics to know. If in doubt, buy a small amount and launder it.
Often designs are printed on different 'greige' goods (pronounced 'gray'). This is the basic woven fabric that designs are printed on. They may be the same print, but if it was printed on a superior (or inferior) base fabric, the feel and sometimes the prints, is different.

That being said, I buy what ever my wallet, my eye and the hand of the fabric calls to me. I will buy sale, full price, WalMart, JoAnns and LQS. I want them all to stay in business!

Hello! My name is Beth and I am a Fabriholic!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:36 AM

I read a very enlightening article some time ago, but do not remember who or where. But the important part is that it explained how a company will (might?) print the same pattern on a variety of fabric qualities, thereby producing the "same" fabric at differing price points. If anyone knows more about this or can identify the article, please let us
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 AM

I used to think one could "feel" the difference. I bought two different quilt backings at the LQS, one I thought felt so very nice, the other, meh, but it was a small quilt I planned to give away and didn't want to invest a lot. Washed them both and my opinion changed drastically. The nice one was rough and scratchy, the meh had softened and was smooth.

I have rarely found decent fabric at the local wally world. The next big box fabric store is an hour away, I get there about once a year. When i can, my preference is LQS or online, name brand bolt.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:24 PM

I think some of the better quality quilting cottons at Joanns are not bad, but you really have to watch it if you get the keepsake calicos. More than once I've found flaws in the yardage once I get home. I try to watch for flaws as they measure, but I don't always see them at that point. I buy a lot at the LQS, but buying backing fabric at the LQS can get really pricy. I too have to feel the fabric before buying--if it feels cheap or thin, I pass it by.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:03 PM

I buy most of my fabric online during big sales. I only shop JoAnn's when I can't get out of it. I buy very little fabric from there, but my LQS doesn't sell notions or threads. I love going to my LQS & can rarely get out of there with under $60.00 of fabric, but I get newsletters from many online shops with gorgeous fabrics who have good sales & I sometimes just buy remnants that are priced cheaply. The fabrics I've gotten from these shops have been amazing & I love working with them. Sales of 30% off & more are the best sales. I have a fairly good stash, so I don't have to buy a lot of fabric at a time unless I have to make a King sized quilt or something with special colors. I also shop Thrift Shops & GoodWill. It's amazing what you can find there! I quilt daily & am on a strict budget so I do what I can to keep my costs down. Happy quilting!!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 PM

I agree with many of the others, if it feels good-that's the one.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:09 AM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Onebyone;7891576]I buy name brand name fabrics I trust for online because I know the quality. At Walmart, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, etc. I have to feel it. I don't care what store fabric comes from as long as I'm pleased with it.[/QUOTE

I agree. Having worked the fabric department at WalMart, I have found many good quality fabrics at WalMart. You just have to pick and choose. If I had to pay the price of the LQS, I couldn't afford to quilt. It is wonderful if you can afford them but I have never had someone refuse one of my quilts because of the fabric quality (Or for any other reason LOL)