Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 401A in a Mystery Cabinet >

Singer 401A in a Mystery Cabinet

Singer 401A in a Mystery Cabinet

Old 08-23-2017, 04:27 AM

John, one bit of advice I learned here is to take pictures of the disassembly, then lay the parts out in the exact order.

When I learned that helpful tip, it was after I'd taken apart my 401's cam stack for cleaning. Just one more mechanism that is oh, so particular.

Your 401 is gorgeous!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 AM

Thanks, guys (and gals). The foot is just a generic zipper foot, as Cari mentioned...from an online parts place. The tensioner we have is the one without the set screw in the outer nut that you tighten.

We did take a picture pre-removal, but it is possible that we should have take a sequence of pictures as it came of instead. The basics are in the right order, but...some of the details may be mixed up. For instance, there is a small "lock washer" looking thing with a curved tab at the top (E5/S5). We didn't remember whether it was curved in toward the machine or out toward the nut...but looks like we had it on backwards since the picture shows it pointed toward machine...lol. That picture is not in the "Singer Service Manual" we thought was the right one, by the way. I wonder if we downloaded the wrong one?

We'll see how things go today. We also followed advice from here and got heavier / sharper denim needles and heavier thread.

Miles to sew before we sleep. Hmmm. Any Robert Frost fans? ;-)

Regards,

Johncn

Last edited by Johncn; 08-23-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 AM

The 301 tension is pretty similar. Yes, the tab on E5 points to the machine. I always struggle with the wording about that tab being opposite 7 on the dial. Does that mean opposite as in a clockface manner, or opposite as in across from, as at a street corner?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:05 PM

What a treasure! I love the versatility of that sewing desk/table.
Some advice I received a while back was to never use a universal needle. It seems it is a jack of all trades, master of none kind of thing.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:41 AM

A couple of things, I usually reread threads before I reply (again). I'm kind of going off what I remember about this thread. Not sure which service manual you have, but I have a few that cover the 401 actually same form number just from different sources. The tension is shown on page 148 not necessarily that page of the pdf the number at the bottom of the scanned page. thread is twisting has some good info particularly post #9 and #10 One links to the 306W25 pdf which also covers the 401. The pages Miriam refers to also includes the check spring. I got to thinking about what you said about it catching in tension assembly. I'm wondering if you are thinking that the thread is "catching" on tension assembly when it is the purpose of the 'check spring' to kind of hold/pull the upper thread to allow the bobbin to do its job.

Another link that may help is http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...djustment.html

It has been awhile since I've even had any of my slant shank machines out. If you are still having problems, I can pull one of my 401s out and take some pictures. Oh, while it is a good idea to take pictures and lay out pieces the way they came out.... sometimes on used machines, you will find that they were NOT put back together correctly before you got it.

I don't have time right now, but I think Archaic Arcane might have something about how to test tension? I know there was some discussion here on QB about the pressure on the presser foot and how to test an approximate position.

You are doing good so far, keep it up.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
I know nothing about the cabinet except that I like it and wish I had it!! LOL
We never had a cabinet like this in home ec, but would have been wonderful. Beautiful!
Old 08-27-2017, 05:42 AM

Thanks, all, for comments and advice.

The tension seems to be working much better. Not sure if it was the second reassembly of the tensioner, or it has to do with the heavier needle and thread combinations you folks recommended. Cushions nearing completion, and then Rebecca is going to start the drapes. ;-) Couldn't have done it without the support of this forum. A big thank you!

As far as the 401A and cabinet, we're already working on deciding whether we can donate some things to make room for them after the camper makeover or not...lol.

Johncn
Old 08-27-2017, 10:54 AM

You are so lucky. I bought my 401A new in 1958 ad it still sew's like a new machine. The cabinet is a quilters dream would love to find one like it.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Model 430 3-Way Sewing Desk

Originally Posted by Johncn View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies. We were excited to learn that it is a Model 403 3-way Sewing Desk, but in a different color than the one mentioned above. Apparently, these were used by some schools for teaching sewing, and so served as both a work table and an instructional desk. The amount of collective wisdom in an active enthusiast's forum like is amazing, and far exceeds the brainpower of Google.

Any additional info appreciated, and thanks to those who took the time to comment.

Regards,

john

I bought a 430 3-way sewing desk, minus the machine, several years ago at a garage sale. I found a few post about it on this board and thought someone could provide information on modifying. I love it, but want to put my modern machine in it. Right now I just put it on top of the table.
I believe I can mount a board inside it to hold a machine, but didn’t want to start drilling and modifying until I find out if there’s a simple way.
Thank you,
Paula
Old 02-02-2021, 07:51 AM

Welcome, Paula. I'm not sure I'd be much help on modifying the sewing desk, but am wondering which "modern" machine you are talking about.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.