Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bamboo Batting >

Bamboo Batting

Bamboo Batting

Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Bamboo Batting

Has anyone used "Nature-Fil Bamboo Blend" batting from JoAnns?

http://www.joann.com/nature-fil-bamb...20yard&start=1

I love Quilters Dream Request for the thin summer weight and "crinkley" look, but I am tired of fighting the wrinkles out of bags and want something on a roll that I can pull, cut, and quilt....but still light and thin.

Any thoughts? Jane
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Did you read the reviews, Jane? They were good.
I've used fusiboo and like it- but I think it's entirely different.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM

I use Quilter's Dream Orient batting which has bamboo and I love it!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:04 AM

I have used bamboo batting a few times. I was neutral about it. I have heard that it takes alot more resources to produce. If I used it again, I would so some more homework on it.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM

I read that the bamboo has to be treated with quite toxic chemicals (which isn't good for the environment or the workers), so that was a turn-off for me.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM

Where is the research regarding environmental concerns? I'm really interested in the concerns expressed.

As for bamboo, it's similar to comparing cotton to rayon. Rayon has a beautiful drape and is softer than cotton. So in a quilt it drapes over the body. For wall hangings I like the stiffest batting and thinist.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:40 PM

Jane Quilter,
Unfortunately, I'm highly allergic to rayon, and break out in hives just from touching it, but award-winning quilter Caryl Bryer Fallert-Gentry uses it & it looks stunning! I'm sure you'll have a lovely quilt with that batting! Be sure to post pictures.

Petthefabric,
"Bamboo" is rayon (viscose rayon). The term is used to differentiate from rayon made from eucalyptus or other woods.

Viscose rayon, as a semi-synthetic material, is manufactured to have specific properties. It wrinkles less than cotton (but still does wrinkle), is lighter weight, tends to sleep "cooler" & does have a nice hand.

In response to your question, here is an article about how it is processed:
http://www.differencebetween.net/obj...n-and-viscose/

Here is a video:
http://splash.abc.net.au/home#!/medi...-eco-friendly-

There are more scientific articles out there, but these give the general idea. The process of breaking down the bamboo uses a lot of harsh chemicals. Of course, even just dying fabric is terrible for the environment as it uses a lot of water & in many places ends up contaminating local water sources with the dyestuffs, making it undrinkable. While I personally don't use rayon due to a severe allergy, I think we'll have a much greater impact on the environment by cutting down on the amount of clothes consumers buy in a given year, most of which quickly end up in landfills or are dumped in third world countries by the baleful, destroying local textile industries.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Thanks for all your advise....I knew I could count on the board. I'm leery of all positive reviews on a product. So you talked me back into my go-to-batting: Quilters Dream, Request. Hancocks-paducah has the queen size on sale for $19.99. (That is $6.66 per yard). I ordered 2 so now I still have to fight the bag with wrinkles, but not the environment. Thanks again....Jane
Old 08-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Jane Quilter-do you have the room for a roll of batting and afford it? If so, why not get a roll, that way you don't have to fight with the wrinkles.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Jane Quilter-do you have the room for a roll of batting and afford it? If so, why not get a roll, that way you don't have to fight with the wrinkles.
Yes, I have room. I only bought 2 queens ($6.66/yd). Today, the best buy by the yard is $9.99 / yd for queen (only $1.00/yd on sale). So I'll be watching for a better sale....If the sale doesnt come before I need it, I will bite the bullet and buy the whole roll. (Can my hubby come play with your hubby on delivery day? LOL)