Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Charity for Harvey and other disasters >

Charity for Harvey and other disasters

Charity for Harvey and other disasters

Old 08-29-2017, 06:39 AM

if you inquire, you might find a charity related to your work. A family member is a postal worker and after Katrina, the postal system had a fund to help postal workers. We gave through him and we felt confident about that.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the article. It makes sense.
Money is needed more than anything- those poor people!!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

Regarding quilters, during the Great Flood in Baton Rouge a year ago, many many quilters lost all their "stuff" including machines, rulers, fabric, etc. I am not local anymore, but, could send money, and the guilds and stores all pooled their resources asking for donations from those not affected to give machines, notions, fabric, etc. They found a place to store it all and once time had passed and many of the quilters were in a place they could sew again, opened it up and invited the quilters to come and take what they needed. it seems to have worked out great. Now isn't the time because those folks don't have a place yet, but, maybe someone local could be thinking of some ideas like that. If they set up a donation page, but, not on this site, because I think it might not be allowed, then we could all contribute.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM

I agree with this. Someone posted on the local listserv today wanting to know how to donate clothing. There is no manpower to sort hand-me-downs in a situation like this, typically. Let alone space. We drove through a Katrina-hit area months after the storm and there were PILES of clothing on the sides of the road.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:01 PM

I live in Houston and yes , it's touching to read this kind post.
I'm too heartbroken to share my story Reading this thread is like getting a much needed hug.

Last edited by FabQuilter; 08-29-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:07 AM

If you have handmade quilts you want to donate consider raffleing , auction, or public craft sale instead to raise money for the relief effort.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Be careful. The hospital that I work at put out an email about alot of scams going on for hurricane Harvey. Its so sad when people take a tragedy to try and make money. The vet that my daughter works for is doing a fund raising for the shelter that is taking the lost pets in. we have one here in our Norfolk area.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM

As one who lost virtually everything in Hurricane Ike, I recommend directly helping a charity group in the area affected by Harvey. Animal shelters are in great need since some people will not be able to take oe keep their beloved pets. The Galveston Animal Humane group helped me recover all seven of my furry companions when I was forced to flee. A small donation to such a group will enormously help pets and their distraught families.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:11 PM

A quilt shop near me is collecting new underwear to send to the stadium. She will ship it at her expense. She is in touch with a social worker in Houston who says this is an immediate need. I'll be donating.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
A quilt shop near me is collecting new underwear to send to the stadium. She will ship it at her expense. She is in touch with a social worker in Houston who says this is an immediate need. I'll be donating.
excellent idea! (might I add that bras and or camisoles for the women would be helpful too--maybe some sports bras in different sizes??)