Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
martelli rotary cutter >

martelli rotary cutter

martelli rotary cutter

Old 10-12-2017, 07:18 AM

you all sucked me in too! Mine should arrive tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out. After watching the video, I think it's going to be super nice to use.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:16 PM
mac

I've had several Martelli cutters for years and years. I love them because I can sit down and cut fabric. I have bad knees and standing and cutting really hurts then and sometimes my back. When I sit and cut, I can cut for hours and I have no pain in my knees, back or my wrist.

I purchased a 60mm and I love that one even more. For some reason the 60mm seems to keep sharp longer. I don't know why, I suppose it could be my imagination, but it does stay sharper longer.

By the way, all rotary cutters should be cleaned and oiled regularly. Some fabrics shed more than others, and they should be cleaned and oiled even more often. The fuzz slows down your cutting. Cleaning and oiling also keeps your blade sharper longer.

If you are afraid that you won't remember how it goes back together, I take a picture of each step as I undo the blade. That way you can see how it looks as you go. I also take of each piece and put it in the order that it comes off. That way you can pick up each piece as it goes back on. Did that make sense.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 PM

I got one several months ago -- the blades are a disappointment because they have dulled cutting far less than the fabrics for a table runner. Since the fabrics were regular cotton (not batik) and not metallic so I am at a loss as to why this is happening. My Olfa blades cut longer.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 PM

It's a good cutter, but I learned that you should use the Martelli replacement blades also.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 AM

I like cutting with mine but find it very difficult to clean. I watched the how-to video and never could get it back together. During the cleaning process I bent the spring and had to request another. Still couldn't get it back together. They said I could mail it to them to reassemble. Never got around to it so it's in the drawer in pieces. The fiskars is way easier to clean.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

You guys are such enablers! I'm ordering one right now
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 PM

Mine came today, only did a small amount of cutting - and I think I'm really going to like this cutter! Lots and lots of reviews with people saying the use other blades with no problem. Which is good because a month ago I ordered 50 blades and I do plan on using them!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JudyBsquared View Post
I like cutting with mine but find it very difficult to clean. I watched the how-to video and never could get it back together. During the cleaning process I bent the spring and had to request another. Still couldn't get it back together. They said I could mail it to them to reassemble. Never got around to it so it's in the drawer in pieces. The fiskars is way easier to clean.
I know - such a waste of money when things don't work as advertised.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Just a heads up- this is one nice cutter!! I love it. Thanks for convincing me to buy it.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I got one several months ago -- the blades are a disappointment because they have dulled cutting far less than the fabrics for a table runner. Since the fabrics were regular cotton (not batik) and not metallic so I am at a loss as to why this is happening. My Olfa blades cut longer.
Martelli's stresses to use their mats with their cutting blades. My Bee used to meet there and we brought our own mats because we didn't want to mess up their workroom mats.