Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blade >

Rotary Blade

Rotary Blade

Old 10-15-2017, 02:23 PM

I try to get all the mileage I can also. But the arthritis in my hands gets stirred if I go too dull. Also, it appears I get a lot of fuzz or 'hair' on the edge of my fabric if I take it too dull.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
It's too hard on my hands to try and cut with a dull blade. I've been having to change them about every project and a half. I recently bought the Martelli cutter and blades, and am hoping that cutter will be easier on my hands and the blades will last longer.
I have the Martelli cutters and Yes, they relieve the stress on the hands and wrists. I was not sorry I got them. My chiropractor quilting friend changed to these for the ergonomics, that is why I decided to try them for myself

Old 10-15-2017, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with my rotary blade sharpener. I have the first electric one ...
Rob
I have given up on using mine because it's so fiddly and because you buy blades so cheaply now. It's just not worth the effort.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
I have a sharpener for rotary blades, and its the bomb! I sharpen mine when they get dull/ skip, and they last longer that way. The blade that came with my KAI cutter has rust spots on the sides of the blade (!!!) but it *still* cuts better than the new ones from Wally World. I think it a tungsten steel blade, because it is really better than the usual ones.

What sharpener do you have? I have several and I'm not very happy with any of them. Maybe I'm doing something wrong!!!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:30 AM

I can't stand it when I get a skip in cutting. You have to bear down harder, killing your cutting mat, and hurting my hand. When I change the blade, it's like heaven. You really ought to change it sooner, saves all the way around. It makes cutting so much easier. I also order my blades online, much cheaper.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:13 AM

I've now used the Martelli cutter to cut two projects, and the difference is astounding! I'm so thankful to have discovered it, because I was nearing the end of my ability to use my Olfa cutter because of the pressure it put on my first finger (arthritis). So can I use up my Olfa blades in the Martelli cutter?
Old 11-01-2017, 07:01 AM

what about the cutting mats? I have a green rotating cutting mat. It's pretty worn in the middle, but I don't want to get rid of it until I'm sure it's been all used up. I purchased a new one (larger), but am hesitant to open the package...want to use up the old one! Anyway, how can you tell when it's time to replace? Mine is over 20 years old........I've read you are supposed to soak them in a bathtub with vinegar. What does that do? How does it restore it? How do I know when it's time to replace it? And, what do you do with the old mat? I try to recycle, upcycle, etc. things. Help?!?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM

I bought new blades!!! Yay! It was a five pack, so it may last me five years
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 AM

I try to buy them anytime I see them on sale - it's easier (psychologically) for me to change the blade if I have a bunch of spares on hand rather than just one or two.

I used to wear things like my rotary blades down well past normal use, but I've started to ask myself why? I just add fatigue to my poor wrists and elbows that way. Blades are easier to replace than elbows!

So now I "treat" myself to things like fresh rotary blades and needles anytime I suspect they're dulling down. They don't cost that much and there are better (wiser) places in my budget where I can cut corners if I think it's necessary. (Like not buying so much fabric? Naaaaaahhhh, that's crazy talk!)
Old 11-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I read somewhere - maybe on here - about the table being the problem. I had been cutting on one of those white tables from Walmart, Sam's, Costco, etc.and would get skips. Then I read that those tables have a bit of "give" in them and that could be the problem. I had a piece of solid cabinet left over from my IKEA kitchen remodel. I put it on top of the white table, cutting mat on top of that, and my blades are lasting way longer than they used to, no skipping and no pushing. It really did make a huge difference.