Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Class Supplies, Besides Machine >

Class Supplies, Besides Machine

Class Supplies, Besides Machine

Old 08-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Class Supplies, Besides Machine

After just reading Watson's question about bringing your machine to class, reminded me of a problem I'm facing now. I signed up and paid for two ruler quilting classes that I have been looking forward to. Then I was sent the list of supplies which included an extension table for my machine. Had not even thought of this, although I understand why you would need one but, since my machine is recessed in the table and already paid for the insert for that, I'm not wanting to spend nearly 200 dollars for an extension table that I won't need again. So guess I will cancel non-refundable classes and hope for at least some store credit. I am bummed about this, though. Wish I would have thought of this before.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:18 PM

Perhaps call and explain and they might have a machine you can borrow?

Watson
Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

it's a long shot, but is your table portable enough to take it. might want to check with the store to see if that is possible, too.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

If you had not previously had access to the list of supplies, then I think you are due a full refund (unless the shop can offer an alternative, like a loaner extension table or machine).

My machine is also recessed, but the table is just slightly lower - maybe 1/8" lower - than the machine bed. It's annoying when I am piecing because it sometimes causes the seam allowances to want to go the wrong way. I do my quilting on the longarm, so this has not been a problem with ruler work, but I wonder if you might have the same situation. The ruler base really does need to be exactly level with the machine bed.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM

You can still do the class. It sure does make a difference if you have a table, but I've had a couple students come without an extension table, and it was do-able.

I wanted to add that a SewSteady table is $98.95. Is that something you could afford?
Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

You can make a surround for your machine out of styrofoam. Light weight and inexpensive. My husband made a large one for me from an insulation sheet purchased from Home Depot. Covered in inexpensive plastic from Walmart. Styrofoam is messy to cut and shape, though.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Many problems can be resolved if we ask for help. Maybe the store has some help for you.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

You can make a disposable one. I made one using a long not very deep under the bed plastic tote. I cut the shape of the machine into the lid. My machine was a little short to raise up to the lid so I set it on Styrofoam to raise it up. It worked just fine and cost about $9.

Remember the machine will be a little taller then you are used to on the table so bring a firm pillow to to sit on and stack two chairs together if you can.

One bonus using the tote, lots of storage while in use.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-21-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

I'm sure if you explained the situation the shop would have some alternatives, maybe one of their machines? It never hurts to ask.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Prism99 has the perfect solution. I have never thought of using styrafoam. I'm going to have to try that on my machines that don't sit down in a table. Thank you!