Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Class Supplies, Besides Machine >
  • Class Supplies, Besides Machine

• Class Supplies, Besides Machine

Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by suern3
    After just reading Watson's question about bringing your machine to class, reminded me of a problem I'm facing now. I signed up and paid for two ruler quilting classes that I have been looking forward to. Then I was sent the list of supplies which included an extension table for my machine. Had not even thought of this, although I understand why you would need one but, since my machine is recessed in the table and already paid for the insert for that, I'm not wanting to spend nearly 200 dollars for an extension table that I won't need again. So guess I will cancel non-refundable classes and hope for at least some store credit. I am bummed about this, though. Wish I would have thought of this before.
    No, no...don't cancel!! When in a situation like this, I have used books! Stack books around your machine until they are the same height (or as close as possible). If you have hardback books that is preferable but you can use any thing. You could wrap them in fabric to hold them together if they are paperbacks. Also you might want to wrap some freezer paper around the top. I did not to this before, but just thought of it, especially if you wrap fabric over the books. The freezer paper (or parchment) will help the quilt top slide a bit better. Let us know what you do. Good Luck!
    Old 08-22-2017, 07:10 AM

Suern3: Still attend your going to cancel and get nothing still attend at least you can hear the instructor and watch everyone else and get an idea of what is going on, this will be something new in your treasure chest, and this will also give you an idea if this was something you would like to purchase at later date the extension table. I have my embroidery machine in recessed table; I purchased another machine to take to classes and I did purchase the extension table when I attend retreats. Still attend.
    Old 08-22-2017, 08:01 AM

Have you thought about getting a piece of 1/8" acrylic and cutting it to fit around your machine? You can get it at any hardware store ( and local ones will probably cut out the machine area for you). Once home, use an emery board to slightly round the edge. This is like template plastic but a bit thicker. Having my machine 1/8" higher than the table would drive me nuts!
    Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    You can make a disposable one. I made one using a long not very deep under the bed plastic tote. I cut the shape of the machine into the lid. My machine was a little short to raise up to the lid so I set it on Styrofoam to raise it up. It worked just fine and cost about $9.
    Now this is genius! How do you think out of the box like this? Perfect for when a temp ext. table is needed. To cut the plastic lid to fit, draw the outline and then punch holes in the line using hammer and small nail. It will be much easier to cut through the holes.
    Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the ideas! I do need to contact the quilt shop and see what they have to say. Hopefully, they have suggestions. I can't be the only one with this problem. My sewing cabinet is an Arrow Big Bertha with a custom made insert so no options there. My husband is so helpful and I wondered about him adding some feet to the insert but he wasn't too interested in that Plus, I'm afraid it would damage the insert. I am curious about the idea of stacking books around the machine. Might have to preview that one. And some others, again thanks for the support.
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    You can make a disposable one. I made one using a long not very deep under the bed plastic tote. I cut the shape of the machine into the lid. My machine was a little short to raise up to the lid so I set it on Styrofoam to raise it up. It worked just fine and cost about $9.

Remember the machine will be a little taller then you are used to on the table so bring a firm pillow to to sit on and stack two chairs together if you can.

One bonus using the tote, lots of storage while in use.
    Thanks for this wonderful tip. I might even do this for my machine that I use at my home. My piecing tends to pull sideways and this would stop that.
    Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

would love a picture of the plastic tote "table"
    Old 08-23-2017, 08:33 PM

I took a free motion quilting class a few years back at my local quilt store. They do sell machines there, and extension tables as well. The owner actually took an extension table from a display machine identical to mine and let me borrow it. There was no pressure for me to purchase it. Months later I did end up buying it.
    Old 08-24-2017, 12:37 AM

I'm kind of surprised they didn't mention in the class description that this would be a requirement. Not everyone has an extension table, and the cost can be prohibitive for some. That detail alone could be a make-or-break decision for taking the class....
    Old 10-24-2017, 02:47 PM

Just thought that some of you who replied to my dilemma would be interested to know how this turned out. I finally did call the shop and explained my problem. Luckily, the person who was teaching the class answered the phone. He said I was the first one to call about this and they had a couple for people to use so I got one! Yay. Class was last Friday. It was good, still a lot to learn about using rulers. Oh and practice, practice, of course.