Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Thread >

Machine Quilting Thread

Machine Quilting Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I use Metro machine embroidery thread for my FMQ, you can't beat their prices, colors or customer service, it's a poly thread, rayon from what I've heard is quite "fragile".
I agree! And for a beginner you can get a LOT of thread for very little $$ to start. It is a beautiful trilobal poly with loads of colors and they also have packages where you can get a large assortment:

https://metroemb.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

Rayon thread can be very fragile and also not always colorfast. While beautiful, I tend to stay away from Rayon for these reasons.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:54 PM

I had not run across Isacord embroidery thread, but I did a search, and it does look like a nice thread. I guess I will just pick a starting point, and as time, knowledge, and skills progress, make adjustments as I go. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-08-2017, 03:28 AM

I use Isacord only. I love it. I use it for quilting and embroidery and I don't have any problems with it. It is very economical, compared to other threads, $5-7. It also has a very nice sheen for me. Have fun.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
What is a topping that you say to use with lettering so thread sits on top of the fabric? I do some lettering but have never heard of a topping?
Topping is a stabilizer term. It keeps the lettering on "top" of the background fabric. It helps prevent puckers too. I use any time that lettering is done. It gives a better result for me so quite worth adding a few cents into the project cost. Plus I use a micro thread which is finer for EMB lettering. I also use it for one-sies or t-shirt type fabrics for the embroidery design.

There is wash-away. I use a wet q-tip around the outline and it comes off. I like the Fl0riani one as it mostly tears off cleanly from the project.

There is also heat-away. You iron it off the project. I don't have any experience with it though.

Here is the workbook that explains. Pages 17 & 18 explains in detail.

http://www.rnkdistributing.com/resou...Stabilizer.pdf

Generally, I also stabilize applique fabrics for machine EMB also. It prevents fraying around the cut-lines.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:46 AM

I also recommend MetroEMB.com Embroidery Thread. Metro also has one called Sigma,(both are 40wt poly) which is a few cents more, same quality and humongous selection of colors, and priced very very economical ($2-3 a spool) and right now most on sale for $.89 each. Never have had an issue. I use Brother Bobbin thread 60wt. and wind my own, but have also used Superior Bottom Line 60wt. (I have a Brother Quattro 6700D). It is an addiction that is so much fun and satisfying with each little project completed. Have fun.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Suz in Iowa, I went to BFC Creations and ordered some bobbin thread. I'm always looking for 60wt bobbin thread in various color because I only use 60wt in the bobbin and always match thread to backing. Their prices were good but they only had 10 colors and their shipping was high, imo. Thanks for another source.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:21 PM

No one mentioned Robison-Anton threads, but that is what I use almost exclusively, and I love it.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 PM

I love the polyester threads, I do many children's projects and feel it holds up better for frequent washing.
I've tried several brands of polyester embroidery thread, liked them all but for some reason my embroidery machines (different Brother's over the last almost 20 years) don't seem to like Sulky, but I only used it years ago when it just came in rayon.
Brother embroidery thread is great, the machines are calibrated for that thread so handle it well.
Enjoy embroidery, the only draw back is not enough time to do all I want.
Be sure to sign up at Embroidery Library, great designs at great prices & ideas. http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/default.aspx