Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheeled case for new machine >

Wheeled case for new machine

Wheeled case for new machine

Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

If you take your machine with you a lot you want the best protection you can get. I want my machine padded and protected from bumps and tip overs. I have found several Tutto machine rolling totes and one Bernina tote at thrift stores in the luggage. Looks like regular luggage to them so priced as luggage. The last one I found was $10 and it looked brand new. Tuesday Mornings had Everything Mary machine totes not long ago for $29.99. They aren't the best but not bad for the price.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:10 AM

I like Blue Fig totes. They have several models. Not sure that you can sit on them, as you supposedly can with the Tutto, but they are nice and not as pricey.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:10 PM

PS: I added a piece of two inch foam to the bottom of rolling bag. Another left-over piece of foam was placed in the front of machine. These are easily cut to size with an electric knife. Of course, you could use your fabric stash for extra padding. LOL!

For my serger bag, I made a fabric cover for the foam. Makes a nice pillow for class seats.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM

I don't know how big that machine is, but the tapestry bag from JoAnn's isn't wonderful, but it does the job. About $25-30 with a coupon.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:36 PM

I'm another who purchased the $25 rolling tool bag from Harbor Freight. Fits my Brother 1500 perfectly. Four hundred dollars for a rolling bag is utterly ridiculous. My opinion, of course....
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 AM

I received a rolling "set" as a gift a number of years ago that I think came from JoAnn's at the time. There is a rolling piece large enough for my machine and several smaller matching pieces to use for projects and tools. Love it but I'm not sure they stock that nowadays. If all fails, consider using one of those luggage carriers from the days before luggage with wheels. They are handy and extremely cheap at thrift stores. They fold up for storage and lend themselves to toting more than just your sewing machine. You'll need to figure out how to protect your machine on that but the price is right! (Keep the box the machine came in and put supplies around the machine.)
Old 11-09-2017, 04:17 AM

Hello, Joannes with coupon would be your best bet. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:46 AM

oh wow....I just finished making a 'tote' for my machine(s)! (wish I could take a pic) Let me say first off I have a rolling bag-soft sided that I purchased when I bought my Bernina more than a decade ago. I didn't realize it at the time but after using it I found I really didn't like the soft sided protecting(?) my baby! So I was always careful to pad around the machine. Anyway that is why I made a new 'tote'.....besides the fact I was too cheap to buy a new one....lol!!!!!!! But the new tote is made with an 18 gal. size Rubbermaid Roughneck (ugly green!!!! don't care for that!!!). Because I don't like the green and mainly because I w a n t e d a tool box case used for men's tools in black and yellow accents. (don't ask....I don't know why....the eyeballs want what the eyeballs want). I went looking but they were all too small....very disappointing and I mainly I wanted a more sturdy surround for my machine....not soft-sided. So checked out what size totes I had and decided the 18 gal.would work just fine. (Like I said....I'm cheap and I didn't want to buy a new black one (what are they????.....$6 ?????.....now that's cheap.....no not the tote...ME!!!!) So I used the ugly green and decided to fix it up! I bought duck canvas in yellow (not the bright clean looking yellow but that sort of mustard ugly yellow---I LOVE IT!!!!!). I made the canvas to fit the exterior of the tote (obviously) but before I attached it to the tote I 'fancied' it up. I drew and cut out a sewing machine in shiny black faux leather and sewed it to where the front of the tote would be. Then I drew and cut out sewing implements (scissors, tomato pin cushion, seam ripper, thimble, tracing wheel, a pointed turner and a dress form...they all look somewhat cartoony) and glued them at various spots on the canvas. At each side of this cover I sewed a pocket. Then to attach this cover I sewed large buttons near the top of the edge to hold up the cover or else it would slide down. (DH drilled holes for the buttonholes) Oh....also, I trimmed the edge of the top and bottom around the tote and the pockets in black 1" twill tape....IT IS JUST TOO CUTE!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!! I had some of the yellow material left over that I made an implement pouch with pockets to take along what I think I would need the most. The main thing to complete my new 'tote' is I need to get some black paint and paint the cover! Can't wait. Oh...I have one of those small hand trucks to bungy the tote to it so I think this is going to work out just fine. I will try to post a pic....but I'm not sure how to do it.

Last edited by Sew Freak; 11-09-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:50 AM

I saw an ad from Harbor freight for a wheeled tool case and plan on looking at that to see if it might work for a sewing machine. It is bound to be tough.
Lynda
Old 11-09-2017, 05:27 AM

Sew Freak, can we please see a picture?