Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Future Teacher Question >

Future Teacher Question

Future Teacher Question

Old 12-01-2017, 07:45 PM

I have taught quilting classes. I usually have a kit to make the block I am teaching. The class is to learn a technique not finish a huge quilt. I cut the fabric in strips so they can subcut it to the necessary size. Make sure you charge for your time. It takes a long time to cut fabric. Make sure students pre-pay the teacher fee and kit fee. I have found people forget to come to class and don’t want to pay for the class or fees. You have already done most of the work before the class even starts. Always provide a detailed list of supplies they need to bring to class. I also give them the amount of each fabric they will need to take the block and make a quilt.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:03 PM

I've come to like kits. In the beginning, I wanted to make all my own choices. As many classes as I've taken, I realize, even though I think I've got the supply list covered, what I have won't work. One time I had 6 large totes full of fabrick (a 5 day class) and still had to buy some more.

Then I took a class that called for 1 piece of axb size this kind of paper, 1 pice cxd size this kind of paper, 1 piece exf parchment, 1 piece gxh size freezer paper, many tools unique to this project, and on and on, To get all these things whould have cost $200-300 and some of it wasn't available in my neck of the woods or within 200 miles, so I'd have to order it. Many things I'd never heard of. And I didn't know if I'd ever want to try this again. A kit would have solved these problems.

Many instructors have had try-out type of tools and the same tool for sale.

I've also learned to state in the supply list requiremets for sewing machines (I don't have the skills, knowledge or time to help you during class. Have your machine serviced before coming to class and spend 30 minutes sewing on it before class). And supplies for class (Because the class time allotted is limited, all students will be challenging themselves to stay on task so they can complete as much as possible. Please have all supplies ready, I will not have time to help you gather supplies. Any questions I'd be glad to answer before class. When you're purchasing your supplies, you may text me for advice.)