Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Places to donate quilts >

Places to donate quilts

Places to donate quilts

Old 12-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Our charity quilting group gives primarily to the local hospital organ transplant unit. Sometimes the organ donor (if alive, such as in donation of a kidney) also gets a quilt along with the organ receiver. We also give to a woman's shelter and a children's shelter. We have great contact people in those organizations who treasure the quilts and treat them as we would. They take great care in handing out the right quilt to the right people. If you don't have good contact people, you don't know how or where your quilts may end up.

I believe in donating locally.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM

I started a local chapter of Quilts for Kids. Then I can just sew what as I want and deliver to local hospitals. I have also donated to 3 local fire departments. My son's girlfriend's church has a coat drive and they ask for blankets - so I have donated to them. And they take them to soup kitchens to give out
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Thanks to you all for the great suggestions! We thought about foster kids and will look into all of these ideas. What a great group you are!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Don't forget our Wounded Warrior and Quilts of Valor groups! There should be a district manager somewhere in your area, and they need quilts for special events. The quilts have specific size requirements and need to be washed, labeled, etc. They are given to our service men and women and so very appreciated. They do not all have to be red white and blue, but usually that's what we do because we like it!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I donate some quilts a few years back to my Oncologists office for chemo patients to use . The nurses and office workers took the ones they wanted, don't know what happened to the rest. One told me one had the colors she used in their camper, so she took that one. They won't get anymore.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:12 PM

I completely understand, Jingle. They actually told you they took them for personal use knowing they were fo r patients? What incredible nerve.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM

I donate to an organization called Covered in Love. The goal is to provide quilts to grieving families so that no family who loses someone leave the hospital empty handed. She accepts everything from finished quilts to tops, blocks, etc. I can give you her website if interested. I find this organization very rewarding to sew for.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:16 AM

One of the guilds in my area made quilts for those individuals who have "aged out" of the foster care system and who have been admitted to our local university. These kids come to college under a special program because they seldom have resources including the basics of living. Practical life is part of their challenge, so each got a quilt for their own for ever. It helps to make that stark dorm room look just a little more warm and cozy.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:34 AM

I make quilts for CareNet which is crisis pregnancy group. I have made for foster care and the local nursing home too. The most important thing is that you question the organization where you donate. I have heard many stories of quilts being thrown away or given to other organizations. Someone I know found a bunch given to paws for dog beds.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 AM

If they are smallish, bag them individually in plastic bags and the PD and FD can carry a couple in their cars. They give them to kids in disasters, accidents or when removing them from abusive homes. On that note, your PD should know of battered women's shelters in your area. They will not give out the address but their public info officer should be able to take them and deliver. With small kid's blankets, a nice addition is a small picture book. It helps occupy them and give their moms a chance to breathe!