Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Attention Retired Quilters >

Attention Retired Quilters

Attention Retired Quilters

Old 12-06-2017, 05:55 AM

One of my quilty friends (also retired) comes over one day a week. We sew, talk, drink coffee, etc. We have a ball. That time goes by so quickly, but I get so much more sewing in then I ever did before. As far as the room being neat and organized - well, if you weren't before you probably won't be after.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I use to volunteer a lot and the most rewarding was working with dogs and cats at shelters. I got disgusted at the school and dismayed at the food pantry. I don't volunteer hours anymore but donate items and money to the shelter. One thing I learned in working and retirement is to have anticipation for something. Be it a meal out, a friend's visit, a package to arrive, or a special trip.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Good questions. I have to answer, “No,” to all of them. My circumstances are that I retired from teaching to inherit a business (sounds good, but isn’t, because it’s not where my interests lie and I promised to keep it going, so I’m thinking through that one), and I’m taking care of my mother who has vascular dementia. Each day has new problems. Today it is a charge on her credit card to a magazine company. Tomorrow it will be something else. She currently is receiving in home PT, so I go down twice a day to have her exercise. We cook dinner for her every night or go out to eat. Quilting time is precious and my energy level isn’t all that great. So whatever you are planning for retirement...sometimes those plans change. Shopping stash isn’t working out, either. I do wish I didn’t have the stash, but don’t want to get rid of it, either. So whatever you do/decide, I hope it works! :-)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:18 AM

WMUteach- I know all about those 2.5" birthday charms....I will will play along with that for at least another year!

Coopah- It sounds like you are facing many challenges. I know I should live each day as it comes and there are no guarantees in this life. Having the left-over energy to do the quilting sounds like something I need to watch for.

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this post!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM

I retired 12 years ago but still work some hours each week tutoring students. The most astounding thing to me is how fast the days go! I get done what I choose to do and that is the beauty of my life. If I can only die when my projects are done, I will live forever!
Old 12-09-2017, 08:06 AM

I have enjoyed our retirement except for one thing: DH thinks we have to be busy every day and he tries to keep me going with him or he with me. I would love more time at home, but he was bitten with the bug to move and plan for every day. Rarely do I get to stay home. Now that I have some walking issues, he won't let me go alone--bummer! We live in a small town and I am not afraid to go alone, but I am not "allowed" to do so. Guess I will have to get used to it. He is a micro planner--must think ahead for every eventuality. I don't mind, most times, but sometimes just being spontaneous would be nice. I know I am blessed to still have him (59 years!) but. . . .
Old 12-09-2017, 11:53 AM

My husband and I are practicing retirement this year. We are really enjoying it. Since I’m an exercise physiologist we do a lot of exercise, play tennis, kayak, walk, teach aerobics and yoga. I find I’m better able to sew after I exercise.

I do have a good stash. Now when I add to it I usually add solids or tone on tones as that’s what I’m missing. I love to have a stash but find I need to buy the solids. Most of the applique quilts I do lend themselves to using a stash. I love being able to sew and not have to shop. I never buy kits as my favorite part of quilting is the design aspect.

I pick up my sewing room periodically. I have a friend Sara who sews with me every week or so and I clean up before she comes. I also tend to clean up between steps of the project. After cutting, after piecing etc. my room is generally controlled chaos.

I dont do too many classes except for online Craftsy technique classes. I’m helping Sara go through a BOM class. I really like sewing with Sara each week. I did do a six hour sweet sixteen class at Road to Ca show. I then bought a sweet sixteen sit down machine. I dont sew sew every day. I usuallly go in spurts but I do sew often.

I have one shelf full of books and magazines that I do enjoy looking at. I bought a Dresden book that I’ve enjoyed using recently.

One thing I started doing this year is joining the quilting board booms. You send in 19 fat eighths of one fabric. You get 19 different fat eighths. Then you make 19 12 1/2 inch squares to send back. I love having the challenge of designing all the different squares. Each one is a bite sized project I can do in a day. Then when your 19 squares (from various quilters in the US) come back you make a quilt. I have a harder time with that. I have gotten to know quilters from around the US through the boom. Since this plays to my love of design, this has been the most enjoyable quilting I’ve done in my semi retirement.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Oh shucks...I just lost my comment...okay in essence. although not quite retired I am getting closer day by day, your time and space will be yours to organize as you see fit. I just eliminated most of my magazines and several books...so much info on the web to use. The books I kept are quilt blocks and machine quilting reference books. I still like to curl up and page through them for inspiration. I started sewing in 4-H at the age of 10, 55 years ago...seems like a lifetime, well it is! Every year I gain new insight through my quilting friends and local guild, at the LQS where I work part time (in addition to being a dairy farm wife). I have learned what I like to do and what I don't...mostly miniatures (doesn't use much of my stash!). Love playing with color and pattern.

I can't wait to retire and spend every day as I want because those days I do work I come home exhausted, just like you do now.

Thanks for presenting your questions...great answers everyone!
Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 PM

I can keep my sewing area organized, but it's a struggle. As for large amounts of time...yes, between doctor appointments for both of us. Can anyone ever use up their stash in reality? I have a lifetime amount of stash & yes I keep buying when something pretty catches my eye. Does it bore me? Not at all!! I have some gorgeous fabrics in my stash, but will probably always have to buy one more piece of something to finish projects. Always seems to happen. I have a lot of magazines I've saved & bring them to appointments with me to re-examine. The thing with this hobby or any other... either you're working, so have money & no time or you're not working so have plenty of time, but no money and that's the truth!! I hope you've done better! :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I work at a shelter and just want to say thank you for volunteering your time. shelters really depend on and appreciate volunteers helping where we can't.
I thank you for working at the shelter. I can see first hand how hard it is...like a rollercoaster every day. Today was a great day at the shelter...we had two dogs (who had been abandoned) that had always been together adopted out to the same family. The surprise of this adoption was the dogs were a pit/boxer mix and a yorkie...so funny to see together and so joyful to see them adopted out together. I was fearful that they were going to be separated.