Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting lint problems >

batting lint problems

batting lint problems

Old 01-22-2018, 04:22 AM

Never having used that brand, this may not apply but, some batts have a definite front and back...perhaps that's why yours is bearding, if it is....
Old 01-22-2018, 05:17 AM

I have had this happen once with 100% wool batting and it never stopped. Each time I wash it I have to use lint rollers etc. I have tried static sprays which help till the next wash. The manufacturer said it was a defective batch and it must have been so because it has not happened again with the same type of batting. I suggest a test sandwich as the other poster said.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 AM

The judge told me I should have used a black batt in my batik quilt with lots of large black setting triangles. I did not notice the bearding, but she did. I'm not sure anything will get rid of that. You may have to live with it. The black fabric may have been a looser weave to make that happen.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:58 AM

Bearding happens when batting fibers are not properly bonded, made using cheap poorly made short fibers, or in the case of wool, either not properly felted (or needled) , or made using the cheaper, shorter length, wool fibers. If I bought a batt that bearded, I would never spend another dime for that brand, but that is just me.
I bought a beautiful navy color quilted coat years ago, that bearded (white batting!). Nothing stopped it, I even tried DH old electric razor, no luck. I returned it and I’ve never shopped that store again.

Last edited by madamekelly; 01-22-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM

thanks all. I am going to create a block using the material and batting, quilt it and then wash it. I am so hoping it will be fine since this was a quilt for my grandson as a memory of his Grandpa. I don't think he will be able to deal with future lint problems.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Let us know how it turns out.

Next time I would suggest getting Hobbs brand 80/20. I think it is much better than Fairfield's version. I never had a lint problem like that with Hobbs, but have with some off-brands.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:52 PM

I haven't used that brand, but if you are using a needle that's a little large or dull it might be contributing to the problem. Hope you can get around this problem. It's so disappointing after all the work you've put in so far.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:28 PM

Did this once, after that used black batting with black material.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:32 PM

Sometimes the batting has been put in upside down . there are two distinct sides to it, one side smoother than the other, and it seems to me that if the wrong side is up then it keeps coming through the top but if it is pointed down to the backing it doesn't or at least doesn't show
Old 01-29-2018, 11:28 AM

Ok, last word on this. Finished quilting and binding and washing it. It is better but has some pilling on it now which I will remove by hand. It looks good enough to pass on. Just wanted everyone to know that Fairfield responded to my cries and although didn't offer a good reason for what happened, offered to fix it if I wanted to send it to them. I was quite surprised by this offer and although I would hesitate to try this brand again, it is nice to know they are reputable and willing to stand behind their product and help us quilters when problems arise. Thanks to all your suggestions.