Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it? >

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

Old 01-27-2018, 04:46 AM

I would like to see the patterns offered in Throw, twin, full sizes etc...Give yardage for each size.
There maybe a pattern I like but don't want or need to make a a huge quilt.
I did get an email from MSQC asking for suggestions and I did share this thought.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 AM

I got the magazine when it first came out but frustrated with all the mistakes so I stopped it. I have signed up for it again but have not received any yet. I do watch her you tube shows.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 AM

Over the years, I have subscribed to different quilting magazines. BLOCK has been the only magazine I have truly enjoyed since it first came out. I reluctantly discontinued it because my quilting space has a lot of ideas from this magazine and other sources. There is more than enough to keep me going for years and years. I have enjoyed the BLOCK magazine very much, though.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:31 AM

I own every copy but recently stopped the subscription. For me, the information is free online in the tutorials so it is money saved. At one point I inquired about an online index for all the patterns after searching all the magazines for a specific pattern. Did they ever put together an index?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:42 AM

I have every issue and enjoy it very much. I realize that the tutorials are free online, but sometimes I like to have the pictures and instructions right there with me while I am cutting or sewing instead of watching the video. I enjoy the stories also.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:13 AM

I have every issue from the beginning. I especially liked the "disappearing" blocks. Some are really cute and are so easy to do. I even did one of her disappearing blocks my own way and it was stupendous.

I love the stories with each quilt. My most treasured copy is their first Christmas issue. I felt like I was in Jenny's house celebrating with her family. She has shared lots of pictures of her parents, children and grandchildren. When I see them now in later issues, I can name lots of them. These are not actors in those pictures. They are her family. Yes, maybe they are actors, LOL.

I liked the last novel, except for the ending, but didn't like the others. I wouldn't mind seeing an end to the stories. I don't need that to buy the magazine.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 AM

As a beginner- intermediat, I loved Block and had ordered it for almost 2 years. Stoped my subscription last summer. As my skill advanced so did the need to create more intricate quilts- something that Block does not provide. I found that many of the quilt patterns in Block all used precuts so need to do some math my friends to convert to yardage. My recommendation is that it's excellent for a beginner who wants to learn quilting. For the rest of us I find many free patterns on line from various manufacturers.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 AM

I love the magazine and have everyone of them from the beginning. I have made many of the quilt suggestions and then I take off and make my own quilt using the information and help in the Magazine. I have everyone and just checked them and they are all ready for me to go. I am now not find the Magazines in the stores, grocery stores, etc for quilting magazines and I will just continue to use the Block with great information and I really like them all.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 AM

I love it and have used them to help others understand how to break a quilt down into blocks. Especially helpful for a newbie is to see a quilt in different color combos. If you haven't already seen it, look up the speech her son gave on their business. How he went about starting the magazine and the blowback he got from publishers is fascinating. Makes you look at other magazines in a different way. (Also, the quality of the paper insures the magazine will last.)
Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 AM

I have every issue of Block magazine and love them all. I go through and mark patterns that I like and note if it uses a charm pack, jelly roll or layer cake. I then refer to it when getting ready to make a quilt, have made several from the magazine and also used the patterns as a guideline and made my own revisions. When I have a pattern I want to make I also will watch her tutorial online but I prefer to also have the written instruction for cutting and sewing. I love the family stories and pictures that accompany her quilts and the fact that it has no ads is a plus. I still have a couple of other magazine subscriptions but as the expire I will not renew and will only get Block.