Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it? >

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

Question BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

For those that receive or have received BLOCK magazine from Missouri Star Quilt Company, how do you like it? Do you just read and look at it or do you find yourself making patterns out of it? Will you renew your subscription? Please just share your experience.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

I have every issue. I've only made one quilt out of the magazine, but I love it for ideas, for the personal stories in it, and the fact that there's no advertising in it. The mini novel chapters in the back keep you coming back for more, you want to know what happens next lol. The only thing you want to watch out for is the errors. They always put the corrections up on the site so I print them and stick them in each issue.

Cari
Old 01-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Cari! Yes, no advertising sounds good. I am really leaning towards getting a subscription and trying it.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:45 AM

I have all of them as well. I make 1-3 projects a year out of them, which is more than I do from any other magazine. (Most of my inspiration comes from online) I love reading the stories and looking at the pictures for inspiration.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:47 AM

I also have all of them. I have made a couple things and I really like the book.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:01 PM

I love Block. I also like that there's a Block app, so while I'm waiting for my issue to arrive, I can check it out on the app. I'm impatient that way LOL.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I quit after about 5 issues. I liked it at first, for the relatively simple patterns, but over time I realized that I was not finding any of the quilts inspiring. Their tendency seems to be for traditional quilts in simple patterns. Also, I don't know about now, but at first there were erratic delays in shipping without advance warning. I have not made any of the quilts in the books I have.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:19 PM

I have gotten all the block magazines from #1 until now. I don't care for the magazine because it is too thick and doesn't lay flat. I also think they could do better with the instructions and I don't care for the cutesy stories. I want a quilt magazine, nothing else.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

Block is the only one I subscribe to. The patterns are fast and simple and many times that is all I want to make for family and friends that think the same of fast and simple as needle turned applique and hand quilting. I skim through the other magazines but seldom buy one. They all look the same. Most have the same publisher and same editors doing several different magazine titles. I do like the one from Australia and buy that one at Barnes and Nobles.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:47 PM

I love Block magazine. I call myself a simple quilter and these patterns are what I like to make. I’m not into all the stories so much, though I do read them. It’s the neat look of the magazine for me: no ads anywhere. I just really like her quilt patterns and each magazine has several really pretty quilts.