Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it? >

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

Old 01-26-2018, 03:49 PM

I also stopped getting it since it's all their free tutorials I'd rather watch those and sew along
Old 01-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I also have all of them. I have made a couple things and I really like the book.
Book? There is a book also?
OK off to find out more.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
I also stopped getting it since it's all their free tutorials I'd rather watch those and sew along
Yes, I was wondering about that. Do you feel there is too much overlap and not enough new material in the magazine?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dorismae904 View Post
I have gotten all the block magazines from #1 until now. I don't care for the magazine because it is too thick and doesn't lay flat. I also think they could do better with the instructions and I don't care for the cutesy stories. I want a quilt magazine, nothing else.
I am not familiar yet with the magazine but I do understand that one might want quilt stuff in a quilting magazine and not stories.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The patterns are fast and simple and many times that is all I want to make for family and friends that think the same of fast and simple as needle turned applique and hand quilting.
No kidding right? I am also starting to lean that way.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:46 PM

I love BLOCK. I have made a couple of quilts from it but really get more ideas of how to simplify a pattern from another source. I also like the stories and can't wait to get the next issue so I can find out what happens.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:35 AM

I have a shelf of Block magazines and they are inspiring...and no ads. I have taken a little break from the subscription this year because I have tagged pages from past issues that I want to make and can’t keep up. LOL
Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 AM

I consider it an advertising piece for the Missouri Star Quilt Co. that you have to pay for. If you like using pre-cuts, this is the magazine for you. Not a lot of "stretch your brain" inspiration.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:43 AM

In my opinion, the magazine is beautifully produced. The quality of the paper is top notch, and the photographs are superb. I like the fact that there is no advertising. Even though the publication is done by the Missouri Star Quilt Company, I do not feel that they are glorifying themselves with every issue. I like the simple instructions. I have made several of the projects through the years, and every one of them has turned out as nicely as I had hoped it would.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:45 AM

I, too, have all the Block magazines. I love that there are no ads to muddle up the instructions. I think the directions are clear and concise, and love that I can use it along with the youtube video to clarify things. I rarely read the story in the back of the magazine, but enjoy the little story she has with each quilt. I make quilts for my local cancer center and love the ease of Jenny's patterns. I usually make several from each magazine that comes, and some I have made over and over. I find $5.99 a fair price for it, since magazines in stores are getting so expensive.