Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it? >

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

BLOCK magazine. If you receive it, how do you like it?

Old 01-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I quit after about 5 issues. I liked it at first, for the relatively simple patterns, but over time I realized that I was not finding any of the quilts inspiring. Their tendency seems to be for traditional quilts in simple patterns. Also, I don't know about now, but at first there were erratic delays in shipping without advance warning. I have not made any of the quilts in the books I have.
Thank you! I appreciate your input too.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I have every issue from the beginning. I especially liked the "disappearing" blocks. Some are really cute and are so easy to do. I even did one of her disappearing blocks my own way and it was stupendous.

I love the stories with each quilt. My most treasured copy is their first Christmas issue. I felt like I was in Jenny's house celebrating with her family. She has shared lots of pictures of her parents, children and grandchildren. When I see them now in later issues, I can name lots of them. These are not actors in those pictures. They are her family. Yes, maybe they are actors, LOL.

I liked the last novel, except for the ending, but didn't like the others. I wouldn't mind seeing an end to the stories. I don't need that to buy the magazine.
You are the second one not minding an end to the stories.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 AM

First of all, the whole purpose of Jenny starting the magazine was to supply people with much needed patterns for precuts, something that was lacking back when she started the magazine. She wanted patterns that would go together quickly and easily for beginners and those who just want easy quick projects. She achieved that goal and then some.

There will be as many opinions of the magazines as there are quilters. It's kinda like someone buying you underwear, we don't all have the same tastes, can't please everyone.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
First of all, the whole purpose of Jenny starting the magazine was to supply people with much needed patterns for precuts, something that was lacking back when she started the magazine. She wanted patterns that would go together quickly and easily for beginners and those who just want easy quick projects. She achieved that goal and then some.

There will be as many opinions of the magazines as there are quilters. It's kinda like someone buying you underwear, we don't all have the same tastes, can't please everyone.
LOL Ofcourse! I sure do appreciate people posting their opinion and experience. It has been very helpful. Like you pointing out it is geared to precuts. I do scrappy quilts but have no precuts but for fat quarters. I also appreciated when patterns are for multiple sizes and it seems they are possibly not?
Old 01-27-2018, 10:09 AM

They are meant for use of a precut, be it a jelly roll, a charm pack, or layer cake. Occasionally, yardage is needed for some part of the quilt. It is easy enough to make a quilt larger or smaller by simply making more or less blocks, therefore needing additional precuts. I rarely make the size listed in the pattern. I make a lot of queen size quilts, and it is very easy to estimate how many more blocks needed just by figuring the block size listed. I made Jenny's Rhombus quilt for my DGS for his first apartment in a queen size. What a challenge that was, but DGS was thrilled and that is all that matters. I have lots of precuts in my stash, so I get lots of use of Jenny's magazine. I have made the Crosswalk Quilt about 6 times, and each time it looks different than the previous one.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:28 AM

I love it too! Didn’t know about corrections....
I love their calendars too!! They are on sale now
Old 01-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Also she has you tube videos and excellent customer service if you get stuck!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:38 AM

I like the magazine. Just wish mail carrier didn't mangle it before putting in my mailbox. I have made one quilt using a pattern. Mostly I look at them and file them away.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Not a lot of "stretch your brain" inspiration.
Not many, if any, families can do what the Doan family has done. They are the inspiration behind every pattern.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm surprised at myself for never getting this mag. I love everything about MSQC. I just don't care for magazines anymore.