Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves? >

Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Old 01-27-2018, 11:25 AM

I guess they weren't selling enough! If there is one you usually buy, maybe you should subscribe.
JoAnn's and LQS still have a good selection in my area.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM

I buy a quilting magazine once in a while especially if it's a topic that is of special interest to me. I've seen quilting magazines at Walmart near the fabric department also. Joann's has a lot of quilting magazines.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM

I live in So Cal. Most of my grocery stores only carry Fons and Porter mags and they just aren't my thing. However JoAnn's carries quite a few that I like. Also our local Barnes and Noble carries a lot of quilt mags. We also have an electrical appliance store (Fry's) that carries all kinds of magazines, some quilting. I've become addicted to some magazines that are published in England. They come in plastic at the store, but I finally subscribed. They have some interesting articles and patterns that are different. The shipping is added to the cost, but I find them great.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:23 PM

I don't think quilting is a fad that has run it's course. I just took a class at the Road to Calif. show and I was the oldest in the class. (75). I think I saw more younger women at the show as well. I go to a local 3 day quilt retreat several times a year and I am probably the oldest there too. It feels good to work with the younger women. They have a fresh perspective and have a lot of enthusiasm.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:06 PM

The Walmart closest to us used to carry a good selection of quilting and other needlecraft magazines but in the last 6 months this has decreased with fewer choices - They don't even carry Quiltmaker anymore - Now the selection of quilt magazines are almost all by Fons & Porter.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:52 PM

I think I've subscribed to almost all of them in the past and still get 4(although one just said it was the last). I too see a lot of repetition in the style of quilts and I think the sample quilts shown could often look more enticing if they had not been made up entirely in one line of fabrics--too much of the same thing so the pictures look chaotic often. I used to take Machine Quilting Unlimited but dropped it recently--I wanted info on LA and seemed more and more on art quilts. I want a modern quilt mag and have Modern Quilts Unlimited but find it too repetitious so will let it expire and maybe try Modern Patchwork. I enjoy magazines to flip though especially while waiting at places so probably will always take them. I do wish there was a source for some of the foreign quilt magazines, i.e. Irish Quilting,etc which Hancock's used to carry.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM

Quilt making is not what it was in the 80's and 90's there was so many quilt magazines and they were very interesting then not only patterns but interesting stories and articles. It was a real social thing then with a lot of exchanging and just having fun now it is all about money. I will not buy a book or pattern that requires a special ruler as it is good for only that quilt and so many magazines are spin offs as when I bought the book Square Dance it had direction for making our own pattern to get same book now called Twister sells for 3 times as much because you have to buy the template.Quilting is being priced out for the younger families but things are always changing
Old 01-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Like some of you, I feel the older magazines were far superior, had fewer ads and better instructions. I must say I do like some of the simpler modern quilts which have color but less of it in a single quilt. I'm personally tired of all the scrappy quilts...too much color for me....usually find that any design is lost to me as my eyes wander aimlessly over the quilt....MSQC magazine has no ads, beautiful photography and complete instructions....just too scrappy for me...

I will probably always love quilting but since I've met the challenge and made quite a few and know I can do it will probably go to simpler quilts, modern quilts and tie them so I can use thicker batting.

Think I'm going to give woodcarving another try.......

Last edited by Wonnie; 01-27-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:30 PM

I usually don't buy quilt magazines at the stores. My guild ladies donate theirs and put them up for sale for $1.00 each. The proceeds go to the guild. I'm amassing quite a collection of different magazines!
Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Very interesting observation. It does seem that the quilting population has reached a plateau since the resurgence of quiltmaking around the Bicentennial. I sure hope it wasn't just a long "fad".
I personally don't know anyone in the younger age group who quilts but that doesn't mean they aren't around. I just don't know anyone a lot younger who quilts. Quilting seems to be big business but I wonder how long it will last. No answers here!
The Modern Quilt movement has a following of many younger quilters. My guild has had several younger quilters do presentations including Karlee Porter, Kathleen Riggins and Krista Hennebury. I think Angela Walters counts as a younger quilter. I know there are quite a few under 40's in my guild.

I belong to two guilds, both 45 minutes away from home. There is a guild in my home town, but they meet during the day, working women cannot attend the meetings.

I find lots of younger quilters online too.

I do not subscribe to any quilting magazines, but I do buy them at the newsstand when I see one that interests me. I had fun looking for sewing magazines when I was in Europe last spring and was thrilled to bring home a quilting one in French.

I think it was Watson that said she cannot subscribe to Block in Canada, I have bought individual copies and I am sure I saw them in a local (Vancouver Island) quilt shop recently.