Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted? >

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

How Do You Have Your Quilts Quilted?

Old 01-27-2018, 08:17 PM

I started on my DSM-Janome 6600 when carpal tunnel ended my hand quilting days, caught the FMQ bug, bought a Sweet16 Sitdown and quilted on that for 3 years then bought a longarm a year ago. Still plan to quilt on my DSM when travelling in our RV as it does a great job on small projects! I love FMQ!

Last edited by Kwiltr; 01-27-2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I quilted them on my DSM until I got a longarm. I've never sent one out. But if I someday need to downsize and can't keep the longarm, then I would consider sending the larger ones out to be quilted.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM

I started making quilts (making tops) about 30 yrs ago. Until 5 yrs ago I managed a local quilt store and to improve our customer service, the store bought a LA and of course I had to learn how to use it. I made some store samples of new fabric lines that came in and quilted them on the LA. So, when I retired 5 yrs ago I had too many quilts...I sent a few to LAers and yes, the cost was adding up and I did not have the $$ that I had while working.

My DH heard me lament on all these quilts tops that needed to be finished and when I saw and ad on Craigslist for $1,000 I told him about it. It was 250 miles away and needed truck and trailer to bring a 14' table. I didn't have enough space so my daughter had a room that we could put it on an angle. She was out of work and started using it to make small baby quilts to sell. Finally I found a place to put it, after 2 yrs I sold it on Craigslist for $900. and bought a used HQ16. I quilt my projects and also for friends. Just to keep my hobby going.

At first I was mostly making comforters, I would tie them. I like the feel of comforters with the loftier batting. So to answer the question
1. I tie some
2. I sent some out to LAers
3. I LA mine and for others.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 PM

We are blessed to own a Babylock midarm machine and frame, and I quilt all of our quilts on it. I only do pantos, but we do get them done. We have never sent a quilt to a professional longarmer, but I would like to send a set to Charisma some time because I love her work. Right now with a 5-year-old and on one income that is not feasible.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:52 PM

I like doing every step of the quilt myself, I quilt them on my Juki 2010. I don’t anticipate ever having someone else quilt them for me, but I have learned to never say never.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:24 AM

Before I retired, I only made a couple of quilts a year, so I sent them to be longarmed. Since retirement, I am more productive and have a newer machine, so I've been trying to do as much as I can on my DSM. I find FMQing quite stressful, though, so I'm experimenting with different ways of using the walking foot. I have done some big quilts in sections which works for me. I still have sent larger quilts out for longarming when I want an all-over pattern. Amazingly, more and more members of our local guild have these machines.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:38 AM

For some reason I do not want anyone else working on my quilts. So I embroider and FMQ. I do not have a long arm but think that the work that people do with theirs is amazing. I do simple patterns but am looking forward to more complex work as time goes by. There is no right or wrong. Each of us has to choose our own method!
Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 AM

I, too, know a lot of quilters that send their quilts out to be done. When I first started quilting I had my first ones quilted at a LQS but then one came back that I was terribly disappointed with so I have done my own ever since. I do smaller (twin, lap and crib) on my DSM and rent a longarm for larger quilts. I love FMQ and hope to have my own someday soon. Since I pay by the hour I just do an edge to edge design and then roll the quilt...
Old 01-28-2018, 04:09 AM

For several years I hand quilted my quilts. However, it took so long and I also loved to piece. So I had a backlog of quilt tops.

I am not very good at FMQing. But, I figured out how to mark a design on paper and follow the design using my domestic sewing machine. Did have an 11 inch harp but still a lot of quilt to handle.

I purchased an 18 inch sit-down machine. I love it. I still use Golden thread paper. I purchase designs (both individual designs and pantographs on line and use photoshop to size them to fit my quilt.

I enjoy doing this as much as I do piecing. I have just finished quilting my last unfinished top.

I admire those of you who have or are mastering FMQing. The quilting is fantastic. However, at age 80 my muscle memory is not what it use to be. This allows me to still enjoy all aspects of quilting.

Here is a sample of one of my finished quilts. Sorry the picture is turned sideways. Sorry the picture is so small. Click on the picture for a better view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]587907[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 Dick's Quilt 1 Kindling.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	767.2 KB
ID:	587907  

Last edited by Fastpedal; 01-28-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 AM

I have a sit down longarm (Babylock Tiara) that I’ve been using on baby quilts for the past four years. I’ve quilted a few larger quilts, lap size and twin size, on it . . .but it’s an awful lot of work to move a quilt around, so I typically send those out to be quilted.

My husband bought me a longarm just three days ago, so I’m a few weeks from installation, but am looking forward to being able to finish all my quilts myself.