Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking white fabric >

Marking white fabric

Marking white fabric

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM

I'm like Feline Fanatic--I like the BeGone blue marker and would add that if you quilt somewhere that gets lots of sunlight to not leave it sitting. I also like those purple air erase too.

I suggest you not use press & seal as a "tracing paper"--it's a bear to get to peel off if your stitching is fairly tight.
Also make sure to check that your thread doesn't absorb any marker and hold the color--I had that problem with Crayola markers once with a poly thread.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
Also make sure to check that your thread doesn't absorb any marker and hold the color--I had that problem with Crayola markers once with a poly thread.
Thanks for the warning - I wouldn’t have thought of that possibility.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I like Tartan's suggestion of paper - no marks on the quilt, but I found waxed paper tore away more easily than tissue paper. I drew on the paper with a marker, though I'd do a test first to make sure the needle doesn't carry color to the quilt. Ask me how I know.
I would use freezer paper, not wax paper- wax paper can leave residue behind ( wax- that can be difficult to remove) I made that mistake once. Freezer paper the shiny side irons onto the fabric with no residue. I use freezer paper in my sewing room almost every day- much more than in the kitchen.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:16 AM

Default Crayola Ultra Washable markers

Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
I know several people that use the Crayola Ultra Washable markers and have great success with them.
Ditto on the Crayola Ultra Washable markers. Not only do they work nicely, but they're relatively inexpensive and come in a variety of colors. I love 'em. Presently, I'm marking out a quite intricate quilting motif on plain, pure white and doing so without any trepidation. If it's a small item, I simply spray with a good mist of cold water and wipe the area. However, I do wash all my quilts when they're finally bound, usually in cold water, and then warm dry and fluff. I've never had a problem and finally got rid of my drawer full of items that didn't really work.

You'll love them.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would use freezer paper, not wax paper- wax paper can leave residue behind ( wax- that can be difficult to remove) I made that mistake once. Freezer paper the shiny side irons onto the fabric with no residue. I use freezer paper in my sewing room almost every day- much more than in the kitchen.
Freezer paper isn’t used in UK kitchens - I’ve never seen it on sale in a supermarket here. An American friend who came to stay was very puzzled when that was what I asked her to bring me! You can buy it at quilt shows, luckily.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
Ditto on the Crayola Ultra Washable markers. Not only do they work nicely, but they're relatively inexpensive and come in a variety of colors. I love 'em. Presently, I'm marking out a quite intricate quilting motif on plain, pure white and doing so without any trepidation.

You'll love them.
Thats very good to know - thankyou. I’ll see if I can find a UK supplier.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:49 AM

If you use tissue paper or tracing paper, make sure your stitches are small so it will tear away easily! I’ve had to use a tweezer to pick out remaining paper bits...
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

If you are going to be washing the WHing after it is done, I would suggest Crayola Washable Markers. Experience proves every color washes out, they work.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

I just did some ovals on a white border, marked mine with a plastic Hera marker.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by kat13 View Post
If you use tissue paper or tracing paper, make sure your stitches are small so it will tear away easily! I’ve had to use a tweezer to pick out remaining paper bits...
That’s happened to me when paper-piecing!