Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Projects for used greeting cards? >

Projects for used greeting cards?

Projects for used greeting cards?

Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM

I make Christmas ornament out of them and hang them on the tree. Great memories.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I had a box of old greeting cards and our children spent many hours playing with them. They’d lay them all over the bed and floor and take turns picking their favorite ones. This was 1970’s when they didn’t have electronics LOL.
Senior Citizens and Church groups sometimes take them, cut them apart and affix them to card stock to make new cards for sale.
Oh you just brought back wonderful memories of my sister and I playing "mailman". We would go into one of the many bedrooms in the house and close the door and wait for the mailman to slide a card under the door. So many hours of fun. The cards were so beautiful, with glitter .....
Old 02-18-2018, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

good to hear about Fiskars. i am hoping for new pinking shears from them. the easy action ones I got are not 'easy'.
cards, I have a friend who makes her own cards. folding and folding tiny pieces of paper. they are great and i hate to toss those out. good ideas here.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 PM

We made dodecahedrons in my classrooms also. I use them for bookmarks and put one in each book I donate to libraries or thrift stores. Our church collects them and repurposes them to mail to shut-ins, or make placemats, or puzzles. Some are so pretty or memorable they are framed. The preschool classes use them cut up for learning animals, colors, numbers, etc.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
Oh you just brought back wonderful memories of my sister and I playing "mailman". We would go into one of the many bedrooms in the house and close the door and wait for the mailman to slide a card under the door. So many hours of fun. The cards were so beautiful, with glitter .....
This reminded me of a few (okay 70) years ago when my friends and I would look through pages of catalogs and choose our favorite dresses or toys. Like choosing the favorite card on the floor.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
I had a box of old greeting cards and our children spent many hours playing with them. They’d lay them all over the bed and floor and take turns picking their favorite ones. This was 1970’s when they didn’t have electronics LOL.
Senior Citizens and Church groups sometimes take them, cut them apart and affix them to card stock to make new cards for sale.
This also bought memories back to me: My maternal Grandmother kept greeting cards in a tin hat box and we love to empty them out on a bed, spending hours amusing ourselves with them. Occasionally being able to take some home with us. I love to cut special cards to size, laminate them, punch a hole, add ribbon and use them for bookmarks. I have seen and idea of cutting them into circles, punching holes all round the edge and adding a crochet edge and hanging loop to make a Christmas decoration. I am yet to try this but I hope to. I thought that I would place some clear celluloid / plastic on the shapes before punching the holes.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:23 AM

When I cleared out Moms house after she passed away, I found a cigar box full of My baby cards ! She had kept them for over 65 years so I couldn’t bring myself to throw them out. I’m using them to make new cards with card stock.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-22-2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 AM

Funny. I made a re-cycled Christmas Card basket demo as a freshman in High School...way back in 1956. I cut the card face out, narrower on the bottom with a scalloped top, put cardboard card stock on the back, put clear plastic on the front, punched holes all round it, and did a 'crochet' stitch around it joining it on to the next one until I completed the circle, then cut the bottom from cardboard, and covered it the same way. I don't know whatever happened to it, too many years ago. Stored Christmas cards in it for several years. Mrs. Clark gave me an "A" on the demo. Thanks for reminding me of a good memory.