Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
To gift or not to gift, that's the question. >

To gift or not to gift, that's the question.

To gift or not to gift, that's the question.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts View Post
May I chime in with a related question? My cleaning lady has asked several times if I would make a quilt for her son.. I sort of halfheartedly said I would think about it. Problem is I have so many projects of my own waiting and due to my deteriorating vision, I work very slowly and only when I am having a good day. The cost is another factor. She repeatedly says she is willing to pay but I know she hasn’t a clue about the actual cost. Mostly though I really want to work on my own quilts while I can. I should tell you that I’m well up in years and figure my quilting time is limited. What to do?
You have my permission to just say No though you should be giving yourself permission to do this. You are a sweetheart and do not want to hurt her feelings but, believe me, she has heard the word NO before so don't let this make you feel guilty because you are filling your days with what you enjoy. If you feel an explanation is necessary, which it is not in my opinion, share with her that you only make quilts for yourself and refer her to another quilter to make her son a quilt. Enjoy your craft and may it fill your days with blessings.

Last edited by Teen; 03-08-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:14 PM

My nephew and his wife asked his mom (my sister) if I would make them a king size quilt. I said I would but they would have to pay for the the materials and to have it long armed. After telling her what they could expect in the cost, which I wasn't even going to charge them for my time, I haven't heard a word from them. Your cousin might back away once she hears what it might cost. Of course, if you really don't want to do it, you just have to say so.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I can't imagine asking someone to give me something, especially something they have to take the time to make. I would just laugh and tell her I'll add her to the list. Or if she insists, tell her that it will cost her. When she asks how much, tell her the price of the materials plus some amount for your labor. (The amount can be outrageous if you really don't want to make the quilt, or it can be reasonable if you don't mind making it.) And that will probably be the end of that. Just because someone asks for something doesn't mean you have to provide it for them.
Perfect response to this question, IMO.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie View Post

Yes, being asked, (being put on the spot), is socially unacceptable.
I'm thinking, although not close, this person doesn't realize this is not a
compliment. I think that is the way she perceives it.
I've got a friend, I met through another friend. She knew my younger brothers,
and we were close for a period of time, by email and such.
I have met her in person. We really do click, BUT, time, health issues, income,
and changes of email addies and FB, have changed things.
She has MS and is bedridden most of the time.
I have multiple health issues and not bedridden, but the quickest way to stall me
in my tracks on any issue, is to put pressure on me.
I can't function.
She wants a quilt, and in my heart, I want to make her a quilt, but my health issues
are many, and my concentration etc. and no money, have made it extremely difficult.
I plan to eventually make her one, but I have never said I would.
In fact, when my neighbor that originally introduced us, told me she wanted one,
I almost had a panic attack, and she understood that I just can't.
Sewing/quilting 'in secret', is the only way I ever get anything done for others.
Be kind to yourself and ask yourself, "What do you really want to do?"
I suspect your answer goes both ways,...just like me.
BUT, the only reason you kind of want to, is bc of the pressure.
If she had never asked you, you would be going your merry way without thinking
about this.
You obviously can't say, "I can't sew for others. It makes me too nervous", like I honestly did.
Panel lappie or "no money", or "I can't", with no explanation seem to be
your choices.
Yes, you'll eventually gift someone and she may find out. Can you live with her being mad?
I'm not suggesting you do this out of guilt, heavens no! I also know
there are ppl
that will torment themselves if somebody is upset with them.
I'd go to Pinterest or Google: type in Easy Quilts. Panels are my go-to.
You could do a ten minute block quilt, a row quilt with different fabrics,...there are lots of
easy ways to not take forever.
You can even do a flimsy with a flannel backing and tie it.
I hope you find your answer and peace of mind.
Mousie....I recommend you check with a moderator to post a thread in the "donations request" thread for your friend with MS. Perhaps, members of the board could donate a block for your friends quilt and could send them to you for you to assemble etc. Her situation does not sound good and would likely be brightened by this gift. You could share your health challenges and that she has been on your heart so you asked your many friends to contribute to her quilt. If I received such a gift from strangers I would be moved to tears. You could pick a style block & size, maybe color or scrappy. I would make a block for this quilt.

My sister has MS and I was touched by your story.

Last edited by Teen; 03-08-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM

Sounds to me like this cousin would cherish having a quilt made by you. But its all up to you. you would know she'd appreciate it. Maybe would be easier if you tell her to work with you on what she wants. Than give her a list of fabric and supplies you need to make it to buy.Or even go with her to be sure she buys the right supplies
Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Some people don't want a quilt. Since she wants one I would be thrilled to make her a quilt that I know will be loved. If the other cousins ask you can make them one as you have time.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:41 AM

I would thank her for asking you to make the quilt and let her know you were flattered that she asked you. Then be firm in saying, I will have to decline your kind request, because I am not able to make All my cousins a quilt and would not want to hurt anyone's feelings. I wish there were more than one me.

Then say with a smile....I would love to help you learn to make a simple quilt. If she lives close, she can come to your house. If she is far away, she can take a class in her town or use a tutorial online. If she has zero interest in trying, refer her to someone that makes quilts for a living...etsy or ?

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
Mousie....I recommend you check with a moderator to post a thread in the "donations request" thread for your friend with MS. Perhaps, members of the board could donate a block for your friends quilt and could send them to you for you to assemble etc. Her situation does not sound good and would likely be brightened by this gift. You could share your health challenges and that she has been on your heart so you asked your many friends to contribute to her quilt. If I received such a gift from strangers I would be moved to tears. You could pick a style block & size, maybe color or scrappy. I would make a block for this quilt.

My sister has MS and I was touched by your story.
I would also make a block for this quilt and mail it to you Mousie. If you are able to post your request here, I have a thought. Perhaps if you requested that people contribute a block in a certain color, blue for example. When you receive the blocks, you could sash them all in the same color so the quilt looks uniform. I guess that would even work if the blocks were all different colors!! I hope we can help you do this.

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 03-09-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

These posts seem to be getting out of hand. You said your cousin is begging you to make her a quilt. To me that shows she loves & appreciates them, not that she's bullying you. And you said you'd like to make her one but you have lots more cousins. If you want to make her one go for it! Don't even worry about the others.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
These posts seem to be getting out of hand. You said your cousin is begging you to make her a quilt. To me that shows she loves & appreciates them, not that she's bullying you. And you said you'd like to make her one but you have lots more cousins. If you want to make her one go for it! Don't even worry about the others.
Exactly what I was thinking. I love it when someone appreciates my work.