Help Plz - R 40 machine

Old 03-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Default Help Plz - R 40 machine

I bought a R 40 machine and would like to do free motion quilting on it. Where could I get a presser foot for this ? Or what type of tarning foot could I use ? Thank you for your time and help.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with your machine but you will need to look for a darning foot determined by what kind of shaft your machine has. Is it high, low or slant?
Old 03-16-2018, 01:54 PM

I did a quick search. It appears it may be a Eldridge/National/Franklin. This may have some more info on it.

bkay

Rotary Electric Reversew Sewing machine Manual model R40
Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 PM

National used "top clamp" feet, so they will require a little bit of searching to find them. Aftermarket "Griest" brand is likely your best bet.

You are probably going to need a feed dog cover to do free motion. I think a generic cover will work.

This site covers a slightly newer model, the "Streamliner", but the two are similar so their technical information might be useful:
http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/streamliner.htm

I have found little service info on Nationals due to them being a multi-brand department store machine.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 PM

You may also need to be careful to get the correct size attachments. My Household and Free No. 5 are both top clamp sets, but I can't use one's attachments on the other machine. Household and Standard (and probably others) came with attachments made for them by E. J. Toof's. There is some more info on top clamps here: Top Clamp Attachments
Old 03-29-2018, 11:23 AM

Someone mentioned using a credit card with a hole drilled for the needle....tape in place over feed dogs.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 AM

You may also need to be careful to get the correct size attachments. My Household and Free No. 5 are both top clamp sets, but I can't use one's attachments on the other machine. Household and Standard (and probably others) came with attachments made for them by E. J. Toof's.

Yipes! That's wrong! I meant my old White and the Free, not the Household (it does have the Toof's set, but they are an unusual right-hand-side clamp). Sorry, old brain doesn't always work right!
Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 PM

There are two sizes of slot in the top clamp pressure feet so you need to make sure you get the right feet for the machine. There is a top clamp straight stitch pressure foot used on a Reversew or EXP B. T. machine that is rounded
up on the front and back. If you filed the left and right sides a little you might be able to use this one for free motion.
If you are going to use this machine a lot for free motion I would just unscrew and remove the feed dogs. doesn't
take much.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

I have an old 15 clone that loves doing free motion work, but hates any darning foot I've tried on it. I just use the straight stitch foot with the stitch length set to zero and it doesn't care whether I drop the feed dogs or not. The presser foot tension spring is worn out so I don't have to loosen the pressure but if it worked I would loosen it.

Cari