Top Clamp Attachments

Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Top Clamp Attachments

I just picked up a mostly complete set of Greist top clamp attachments at a thrift store today. The slot where they attach to the presser bar is only 1/8" wide. Any idea which machines they might fit? I don't think I currently own any machines that use them but at $2 I wasn't going to walk away either.
I've already kicked myself for that on other attachments I didn't have machines for.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM

I spent the day compiling stats

Free - older style (like older VS machines)
Gap .127, height (exterior) .50, gap to needle hole, .425, needle hole offset to right

New Royal
gap .127. height .523, gap to needle hole .475 with toe open - right offset - this set is also called "universal" since it has an larger, open ended needle "hole".

Free/New Home (newer style)
gap .127, height .70, gap to needle hole .50, center

The big different in these is the gap to needle hole measure, though it can be difficult to measure on the foot. I measured this on the machine - from the front of the clamp to the needle.

I'm sorting and getting things figured out and then will offer the rest for the cost of shipping. I counted, I've got over 60 sets of top clamp attachments, though I expect I'll be keeping well over half of them.

These are what I've got that are all different
Free - older style
Free /New Home - newer style (VS and Rotary)
New Royal
White (VS and Rotary)
National -older style
National - newer style (VS and Rotary)
Davis
Eldredge (pre National)
Foley & Williams
Standard (VS and Rotary)
New Home (pre Free)(VS and Rotary)
Household

And - I have at least two sets that don't quite fit any of these machines.

Side clamp are so, so much easier to deal with!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:35 PM

When my mother gave me her Singer 15-91, she gave me all the attachments she had. So when I got home with it (she was in Seattle area and I live south of San Diego) I was spending a day re-learning the machine, the button hole maker, the zig zag maker, and all the little pieces - but one box of items just didn't work -no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get them attached. Called my mother to find out how what I was doing wrong. She said it was something her mother bought and she had no idea how to use them. My grandmother never sewed anything except maybe mend a seam or hem. So when I looked closer at the attachments, and there on each one was a "W". I may have 7 sewing machines, but none of them are a "White" and not of them can use the attachments. So even though it is against my up-bringing, the box of attachments went off to a thrift store.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Thanks Macybaby!
I suspect these attachments are for a VS type machine but are somewhat newer because the ruffler and zipper foot have plastic screws. I may have one VS machine that takes top clamps. It's buried in storage right now and I've only seen it once in about the last 5 years so I don't currently remember the brand or the foot style. I'm going with the idea that these may fit. If they don't I'll have to find the correct machine for them.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 03-11-2014, 05:23 AM

If they have plastic screws, I'm going to place my money on that they are the newer style Free/New Home type. And that would be with the four slot ruffler also. If they are VS - they will have a long plate for shirring, and I also bet they are not VS - but rotary, so they'll have

BTW - did they come in a cardboard box instead of a metal tin?

Most of what I have are older than the vintage where Greist started putting them in cardboard boxes.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:32 AM

Also - many of the sets from the time plastic screws were used do not include the tucker as a standard item.

I think near the end of the top clamp era, Free/New Home and White may have been the only two left.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM

Thanks for taking the time to measure Cathy. A handy tool you have given us.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 AM

When I get a bit more time, I'll do up the whole list with pictures. It's rather amazing at all the different sets out there. There weren't that many companies that made them. I guess they just liked to change things every year or so to keep it looking "new and different".

I've got several really strange attachment type feet - I'd consider them a precursor to the Top clamp in that the attachment point slips on the round presser bar like the top clamp part does (the part the top clamp feet fit into).

I'll be going through my "not top clamp or side clamp" feet next, and this includes the bed mounting sets. Then I'll go through my Non-Singer side clamp sets.

oh - and Rodney - if you have an adjustable zipper foot, you have one of the last of the Top Clamp group.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Give me a little bit and I'll get you a picture. I don't know enough to know if everything belongs in the box or not.
Rodney
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 AM

Here they are.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466699[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466700[/ATTACH]

The first picture is everything I got. There is what looks like an edger that attaches to the bed of the machine on the right side in the first pic. There's also what looks like a combination edger/braider right below it.
The second picture I'm trying to show two feet that look like gathering feet but one is longer than the other.
From the front of the gap to the needle hole measures pretty close to .5 inches. I think that would make them for the newer style Free/ New Home machines.
Rodney

EDIT: I forgot to add. What a mess to sort through with all the different styles of attachment and spacing on the needle holes. My hat's off to you Macybaby for being able to put together your collection and information on these feet. Especially given the quality of pictures and info you get from your typical Ebay sellers.
Attached Thumbnails top-clamp-attachments-001.jpg   top-clamp-attachments-002.jpg  

Last edited by Rodney; 03-11-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added comments