Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why >

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Gas or electric dryer - what do you prefer and why

Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Gas is all I've even known, so I have nothing to compare to, but I do believe it's cheaper to have gas...at least here.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:55 PM

Ive had both. prefer gas. cheaper
Old 03-20-2018, 04:06 AM

I have alway had gas so I can't really say but I do know I will never buy another front load washing machine. Reason: can't just soak things and if you forget something you can't add it after it starts to fill!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 AM
Suz

Choose gas.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:34 AM

Default Gas vs electric

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I've only had gas so can't compare, however, when I move there is no gas unless I install propane tank. We are building the house with futures for propane but, initially, I'll be an all electric house. Not sure how well I'll do on an electric stove top....learning curve...
I have had both electric and gas dryer. I don't see much different except after several years of drying white clothes I thought they started to look a little yellow when I used the gas dryer. I didn't see any time difference, most of that depends on what dryer you purchases. I now have electric at both my homes and wouldn't go back to gas.
You referred to propane, that is going to cost you more than electric in most parts of the country. I did change my electric stove out. My town home has nat. gas range top and my country home has propane range top. I like them both as I have more control on the heat. All my gas appliances have electric starters, so no matches needed. If electric is down you can still manual start the range tops, but not the dryer.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I have alway had gas so I can't really say but I do know I will never buy another front load washing machine. Reason: can't just soak things and if you forget something you can't add it after it starts to fill!
I am in agreement. Got a large capacity top loader with agitator. It unlocks after it senses load so I can add things. I wash my quilts in it. It is a HE but has a feature that lets me fill to the top. Two years in and so far pleased with it
Old 03-20-2018, 05:05 AM

I've only had electric but I'm not a fan of gas. We have gas heat and I think it's more expensive than electric. At least where I live. I'm afraid of gas due to carbon monoxide and possibility of explosions.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

If you set your dryer to time dry you are wasting time and power. Set it to Dry, usually More Dry cyle on most dryers. It will stop when there is no dampness sensed in the dryer. Saves a ton of time. I only wash small loads of clothes so the dryer doesn't run more then 15 min. per load. My grandmother had a gas dryer and it turned the whites yellow over time. I'm sure the gas dryers now are much better. I have only had electric. Mostly because they are easier to install. Here the gas company has to connect anything gas powered and has to reconnect if disconnected for repairs. Really a pain to wait for gas company to turn on the water heater. LOL
Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 AM

Gas-- they are more energy efficient and cheaper to operate.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I agree! I was excited to get a front-load washer without realizing I wouldn't be able to soak anything. Never again!
I now soak in the sink in my laundry room but quilts aren't that easy!