What does this mean?

Old 03-24-2018, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Oh I'm sure she meant it well. it's just funny when we learn the real origin of sayings that come down over the years.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:51 PM

Interesting....I've never heard that expression before!! Hopefully she meant it in a supportive way.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:02 PM

I have read all the comments and I think it's impossible to determine meaning without context, which is what I see a lot of people doing here.

If you posted a picture of a painting or quilt, and she responded with "hang that puppy up!", I would interpret her comment as encouragement for you to display your find.

If you simply posted that you had been thrifting and gave no further detail, and her response was "hang that puppy up", I can see how some people would interpret that as her saying you should quit. However, in that instance, I find the phrasing awkward. I've heard people say they were going to "hang it up", as in quit or retire, but I've not heard the word puppy included. Puppy, when not referring to an animal, usually means an object.

Why not simply approach her, explain to her that sometimes things get lost in translation when communicating on social media, and ask her to clarify her meaning.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have read all the comments and I think it's impossible to determine meaning without context, which is what I see a lot of people doing here.

If you posted a picture of a painting or quilt, and she responded with "hang that puppy up!", I would interpret her comment as encouragement for you to display your find.

If you simply posted that you had been thrifting and gave no further detail, and her response was "hang that puppy up", I can see how some people would interpret that as her saying you should quit. However, in that instance, I find the phrasing awkward. I've heard people say they were going to "hang it up", as in quit or retire, but I've not heard the word puppy included. Puppy, when not referring to an animal, usually means an object.

Why not simply approach her, explain to her that sometimes things get lost in translation when communicating on social media, and ask her to clarify her meaning.
I agree with Peckish. You have to consider what the "puppy" is before you can understand how to take it. I do hope she meant it in a nice way.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 PM

As far as I know "that puppy is awful.......cute." And you should show it off.

I suspect the old saying "that dog don't hunt" means just the opposite. Like some of my sewing it just doesn't work to well.

I didn't double check with my millennials however...
Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Did you actually buy something to hang up? If you did then case closed, she was giving you a compliment. If not then block her. I blocked one of my DDs because she was getting rude with some of her replies. Didn't bother me one bit. No one knows if you block them or not unless you tell them.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM

This is what I found when searching the internet. "Goes back to medieval times when, apparently, they used to hang animals for misbehavior, so it wouldn't be unusual to see a dog hanging from a pole."
So does she think you thrifting is misbehavior?

Old 03-26-2018, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

when in doubt -ask!

slang changes so much now -
Old 03-26-2018, 08:06 AM

On a different note, but similar subject; I used to laugh at my Mother-in-laws ideas. (Behind her back, never to her face.) Years and 3 kids later I found myself doing exactly what I had laughed at her for doing. One example, when I was first married I thought it ridiculous to cover my beautiful new couch with a blanket. Why not show it off!! 3 kids later and I was covering my couch. There were other things too, but will stop with that. Someday your daughter will be doing the same thing and saying, "Mother knew what she was doing for sure!"
Old 03-26-2018, 08:43 AM

It's easy for those who want to judge negatively, to jump right to a negative meaning. I agree with other posters who commented to just ask for clarification.