Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? >

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:08 AM

Default 1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

I have about 30 different fabrics that are "scraps" and came up with a brilliant idea last night. Sometimes, I've learned, those brilliant ideas are not always best in reality, so am here for a reality check before I start on something that will end badly LOL

I also have the 1 inch grid - fusible - that you can iron your squares on and then sew the seams down the line.

My main question is this: are these too small? Will I be able to sew the seams easily enough on my machine? I have new machine (one of those fancy ones LOL) But I am wondering about bulk ... and any other tips?

Thanks,
Old 03-29-2018, 04:15 AM

In my opinion, the grid method would not be the best for such small squares. Maybe make your squares 2", I have used the grid for water color quilts and they were 2" squares. In other words, just cover 4 squares with your 2" fabric square
Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 AM

No idea how it will be on your machine, but I have no trouble at all sewing really small pieces with my Juki 2010. Have not tired doing it on my "fancy" machine with a wide foot and feed dogs.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:25 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about 1 inch- right now I'm making a hugs and kisses quilt and while I love the quilt and fabric, every other block is about 8 inches with 32 pieces in the block and it's a pain! I think the blocks are about 1.5 inches or maybe 2 but they seem really small to me
Old 03-29-2018, 04:37 AM

oksewglad, sews with tiny squares like this. Hopefully she will come comment on your question. Here's a link to her profile. In her albums, she has pictures of her mini's.https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...lad-u7338.html Here's also a link to one of her specific photos, it really shows the size and scale of the pieces she uses. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...56-323777.html

I don't know why you can't use these squares up. Maybe a long term project or a smaller project. As it will take a long time for 1" squares to amount to something.

But, where there's a will, there's a way.

I hope you find the encouragement you seek.

Last edited by Judith1005; 03-29-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

​You could probably sew them on the grid but quilting would be another matter. Your seam allowances are going to meet behind each square plus the grid material. It will be pretty thick to quilt unless you press the allowances all open.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:17 AM

Sewing on the grid is fun. I have made a quilt with 1 1/2 inch squares. Scrappy. To control the scraps, I made 24 inch blocks then put sashing in between. Any larger and they seemed to swim.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 AM
DJ

All I can say is good luck! Pieces that small go into the bin for dog beds. I don't like to keep anything smaller than 2 1/2". That's just me. (Famous last words LOL)
Old 03-29-2018, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

I would assume the grid is fusible. they sell them that way. fuse, fold and stitch, etc. I started one but never got it made. Tossed it!
Old 03-29-2018, 06:24 AM

When I was making a recent quilt with lots of 1 inch squares, I was having problems with them sinking into the
feed dogs, so I asked this group what to do & it was suggested that I tape over the feed dogs to make it like it was
like a one-hole plate, since I had a zig zag one. It really helped a lot.