Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting fabric yardage >

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I have read in quilting books to resquare after so many cuts. Can't remember the number. I line a lime on the ruler up with the edge of the fabric. When the fabric no longer lines up with ruler line then I square up. How many times depends on how many cuts I need to make. I usually cut through 2 layers.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:40 PM

The gal in the Jordan Fabrics videos uses a barbell weight at the far end of her ruler to weight it down.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
The gal in the Jordan Fabrics videos uses a barbell weight at the far end of her ruler to weight it down.
I was going to suggest this also. It really does help.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
Thank you for your empathy . It seems like a simple thing that’s so hard for me . Do you find it easier to cut and stay straight by cutting 4 layers at a time?
Actually I do find it easier to cut 4 rather than 2. Maybe it's the extra weight? I never really thought about it till now
Old 04-14-2018, 05:29 PM

I cut 4 layers and walk my hand down the ruler with good results. There are rulers on the market that are large squares with several cutting lines. You can cut several strips without lifting the ruler. I cannot think of brands but if I ever see one in the store, I'm getting one.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 PM
bj

A good sharp blade in your rotary cutter also helps. You don’t have to press down so hard or go back to catch bits that didn’t cut all the way through. And what the others have also suggested(0: I get slippage some no matter what I do!
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
There are rulers on the market that are large squares with several cutting lines. You can cut several strips without lifting the ruler. I cannot think of brands but if I ever see one in the store, I'm getting one.
Stripology by Creative Grids and June Tailor Shape Cut. You can find the June Tailor rulers at JoAnne and can use their coupons to get a good deal. I’ve also seen them at Walmart.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:48 PM

I have a long 24" (?) x 5" cutting ruler with a lip on the perpendicular bottom 5" edge that hooks on the cutting mat. With my left hand on the ruler walking down as I cut, I slightly push forward so as to keep pressure on the lip, and then cut with my rotary cutter in my right hand, This lip acts like a third hand, and if you keep the rotary cutter vertical, and cut straight down , slippage is minimal if at all.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
You are correct that you have to re-square the cutting line on the ruler with most cutting methods. No matter how careful the fabric shifts/moves and goes off square.

Try this video.

http://quiltersplanner.com/power-cut...ay-cut-fabric/

This may be different from your method.

This is my favorite. (Found it again by luck for you.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw

Also try a larger square ruler instead of the strip ruler. It holds more of the fabric in place. Good luck!
Thank you RhondaK for the video links. I tried your second link first and it was one I had viewed sometime ago but forgotten some of the finer points of the instruction. It's a good video! I actually tried cutting some twice folded fabric today, before looking at it again, and found I really did a better job with the shorter width of fabric and my square ruler. The only thing I find is I have to cut off my yardage into more manageable pieces as to use this method with a 4 yard cut is too unwieldy. I have to say, I got my cutting done more quickly too! Thank you for the refresher.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I usually cut 4 layers but like you, have to keep turning the fabric to get a straight edge again.
I know how you feel! It can be a pain. I don't have any magic for you
SusieQOH, I'm sorry, I just read my reply to you and I have no idea how I got an emoticon with the tongue sticking out! I hope I didn't offend you, as I sure appreciate your feedback and certainly didn't intentionally do that.