Finding that I'm vintage

Old 04-18-2018, 01:34 AM

you got to love it ..............
Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
I refused to buy digital watches for my kids when growing up. Almost all of the clocks (and we have LOTS) in my house are analog...old fashioned. Now they only use the analog ones and sure do know how to tell time!

Same with a map. Taught our kids how to know North from South with one of those. Our 10 year old daughter directed her Girl Scout leader to a camp-out one summer. (HINT--We mounted a paper map on a foam board and gave the kids 3 push pins only ---so they wouldn't stab each other while driving. One pin at the starting point and one for ending point and they took turns moving the pin as we drove from Michigan to Texas. They couldn't read yet but could recognize the next town that started with a T or L or a specific letter. That stopped the "Are we there yet?" questions).

My daughter needed a watch to take pulses (studying to be a physician's assistant). She wanted a digital one. Told her that she was going get to awfully tired from counting a pulse for a full minute until her digital watch changed. She bought an analog one. Then she HAD to wear it on her right hand "b/c all of the kids do that."(She is right handed). Told her that she would have to stand on her head to get a pulse and count on her watch at the same time. She switched...SOMETIMES they do listen!!!
Wonderful ideas here. Maybe kids could learn something from these. When I was young, I had to remember that New York was toward town and "Out west" was beyond all those farm fields. I knew the barn was north of the house so south was across the road in the direction of the neighbors house. Most children have no idea of these "directions".
Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 AM

I grew up farming in Kansas. We are so much a grid here. Everything was "2 miles north, 1 mile west and 1/4 mile South." We learned our directions early. Married a woman who grew up in Louisville. She knew up river and down river and turn right at Macy's. Dad was a mechanic. We learned "righty tighty and lefty loosey" right after we learned right and left. Then wife used her watch to figure out clockwise and counterclockwise. She and I both puzzled over each other.

I took a pulse with an analog watch the had spiderweb for the face and a spider for the second hand. It was a close to death moment and I felt a bit bad about using that watch.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:46 AM

Oh showing my age here again. My home town was a flag stop for the Santa Fe railroad. if there were passengers to pick up, the station manager had huge flags he'd fly to stop the train. If it didn't need to stop there was a hook on the station to snag the mail bad as they passed, I learned a lot of geography on train trips. and time from time tables.
By the time I was 15 I was making multiple state trips on my own.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 AM

A quote from Grampa played by Peter Falk in The Princess Bride:

The Grandson: A book?
Grandpa: In my day, television was called 'a book.'

I guess I am vintage too.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:09 PM

I love this thread!!

My grandson stayed with me before school so his mom could go to work. I took him to school in my DH 79 Cutlass. It is his 'baby' and grandson had been asking for a ride in it. He wanted the window down. It has a hand crank so I told him to use it. He reached over with one finger and pushed the knob like a button....'It doesn't work, Grandma!" The kid was only 7 and I realized he has had push buttons to put car windows down his whole life! Too funny!

My daughters and I were going thru my mom's house and cleaning out everything so we could sell it. The girls brought downstairs a manual typewriter. I had gone to the store next door for a pizza for lunch. When I came back, 2 of my grandsons, aged 15 and 20, were sitting on the floor trying to figure out what it was. One said..'there is no place to plug it in.' They other said the keyboard is the same as a computer but it isn't a computer. Grandma to the rescue! I put in a piece of paper and started typing. I told them to listen for the bell. They both told me 'the bell rang! Now what?' I reached up and slowly pushed the lever to turn the paper to the next line and move the carriage over to start it. They thought that was the coolest thing they had ever seen. The 20 year old asked what that ribbon was for so I told him that was the ink for the keys to strike and make a letter on the paper. He asked what happens if it runs out. I told him you get a replacement one. He used his smart phone and Googled where to buy one. Old school meets technology!!
I was laughing so hard, I didn't even try to explain a party line to them!
Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Endora View Post
I also remember metal lines. Never used one, but definitely remember seeing a couple in my day. I can't imagine the discolouration and rust stains that happened.
They never rusted. Sometimes we wiped the lines with a wet cloth before we used them, but usually we just hung up the wash and didn't worry about it. I think the wiping was for dust in dry conditions. I don't ever remember stains from the lines on our clothes. Those lines lasted a long time.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM

yeppers, I wiped down steel lines too. Galvanized steel, didn't rust. And it was strong enough to yank me off my bicycle when I forgot to duck under it. Only did that once.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
They never rusted. Sometimes we wiped the lines with a wet cloth before we used them, but usually we just hung up the wash and didn't worry about it. I think the wiping was for dust in dry conditions. I don't ever remember stains from the lines on our clothes. Those lines lasted a long time.
That old saying, you learn something new everyday, sure rings true related to this one. Thanks for enlightening me.

As for my regular blue-vinyl line, I wipe it down regularly with a damp cloth with cleaner.

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
yeppers, I wiped down steel lines too. Galvanized steel, didn't rust. And it was strong enough to yank me off my bicycle when I forgot to duck under it. Only did that once.
Ouch! LOL! Kids will be kids, but you'd think you would have learned after the first episode. (Cupping hand over mouth while giggling).
Old 04-24-2018, 02:53 AM
Administrator

i no longer enjoy browsing antique shops.
i have to keep picking my eyeballs up off the floor when i see what's considered "antique."
they are chock full of stuff i have used in my lifetime.

not at all good for the ego.
or the eyeballs.

lol lol lol