Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool pressing mat?  Used one? >

Wool pressing mat? Used one?

Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

I saw Eleanor burns using one and she said she liked it so I ordered a small one for next to my machine. Not for yardage.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie View Post
I’ve been wanting one for a while but had a hard time swallowing the cost. I have an old army blanket in the basement but it’s a dark blue or black. Is the dark color a problem?
The old army blanket I use is dark blue, I felted it in the washer/dryer. It does not bleed and works beautifully. I folded it into large sections to a thickness of more than 1" for my ironing surface. Trust me - this method really presses the seams flat. I opted to continue using the blanket versus buying a pad because I saturate my fabric with starch and I can easily throw the blanket in the wash to remove any excess starch that saturates the blanket while steaming.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:22 PM

You’ve made my day! Thanks, now I can feel thrifty and creative.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 PM

Hmmm -- I just went to ecorugpads.com and priced the 18x24 and it price out at $38.95 so I will hit the thrift store.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:59 AM

Does anyone have a review of the ecorugpads.com 100% wool pads?
I just went there and purchased a 2ft x 6ft pad for $38. They have 15% promo code on site. I don't need the 2x6 but anything smaller is the same price so I just took advantage of this size. I will cut it up or stack them so its thicker. They are 3/8" instead 1/2".
Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by IwantItgreen View Post
Does anyone have a review of the ecorugpads.com 100% wool pads?
I just went there and purchased a 2ft x 6ft pad for $38. They have 15% promo code on site. I don't need the 2x6 but anything smaller is the same price so I just took advantage of this size. I will cut it up or stack them so its thicker. They are 3/8" instead 1/2".
I found the previous thread and several of the members had purchased from Ecorugs. So I followed your lead and bought the 2ft x 6ft for 38.00. I figure I can get 3 2'x2' mats for about $13.00. What a deal!!
here is the link to QB discussion started in Jan 2017:
Old 05-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up Great researching!

Originally Posted by psdumas View Post
I said to myself, "what the hay??" on those pressing mat prices! So... I found a great site (EcoRugPads.com)that cuts a 3/4" thick pure wool felted pieces any size you request, and ships for free, and quick. They have all types of material.. but, I chose the 100% wool, called Nature's Cushion. It may not be as thick as the 1/2" size, but it works just the same. For about 18.00. If you want it thicker, you could probably sew two pieces together. Works great!
What a great idea and right after I just purchased one, LOL! I did think of the blankets idea, but it really is hard to find 100% wool these days so I just bit the bullet and bought the mat.
Susan
Old 05-10-2018, 09:52 AM

Default Felt update

I purchased an 18x18 mat at a LQS and can't imagine not having one. I paid a premium for it, however - I think it was ~50 bucks. I'd just started my first quilt and was in the "Ohhhhhh wow, look at that!" newbie phase.

At the time, I didn't realize there were other options. However, my mat has been worth every penny, IMHO.
Complaints: a) I wish I had discovered the link below and picked up a big piece and split it w/a friend instead of paying 50.00 for a fraction of what I'd have gotten if I'd purchased a 60" wide yard. :P
b) my 18x18 piece isn't very big when it comes to pressing seams while sewing garments, esp pants. Or, pressing quilt tops.

The great thing about these felt mats are the firmness underneath when you're pressing. I have a great pad on my ironing board, but it won't hold a candle to the 3/4" thick felt. The thickness is where you come out a winner (again, my .02) because it creates a very FIRM base on which to press.

While I have a very nice ironing board pad, this mat delivers a premium surface for ironing all those pesky seams when piecing - mine are pristine, regardless of my "obvious beginner" piecing. lol

I actually used the mat on top of my kitchen island (formica surface) - and was amazed at the moisture collecting under the mat from using steam when pressing. Didn't hurt my counter (though I'd not recommend doing this!!!) - i was lucky. Just keep in mind, you'll want to let it breathe.

Now, I am in the process of designing a surface to fit atop a table for use as a large cuttong/ironing table in my "soon to be" sewing room. This company offers felt in various thicknesses and its product is 100% wool.
http://www.thefeltcompany.com/sae-pressed-wool-felt/

With a large piece, I can place it on my work surface (or set aside) when quilting and sewing. Why such a large piece? For me, and mind you, I'm a total newbie quilter, when trying to iron the top of my first quilt, it wasn't easy - I want a surface where, as I press, I can roll my top onto a large tube as I complete the ironing (so it doesn't wrinkle).

Hopefully in the coming weeks, as I get my table/sewing room put together, I can share some images!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:28 PM

I purchased mine thru Massdrop which is a site where they have a certain number of people who commit to buying whatever offered and get it for a cheaper price. I’ve bought many dream cotton batts bamboo batts & recycled bottle batts needles janome jw8100 sew machine bolts of fabric. I wouldn’t be w/o my press pad bc I sure get nicely pressed seams, better than I ever had on my ironing board.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
I found the previous thread and several of the members had purchased from Ecorugs. So I followed your lead and bought the 2ft x 6ft for 38.00. I figure I can get 3 2'x2' mats for about $13.00. What a deal!!
here is the link to QB discussion started in Jan 2017:

Just a follow-up to my purchase. It is outstanding for pressing. I wish I had heard of wool pressing mats years ago. I cut a 12"x18" piece from the 2'x6' piece that I got and used it on my little portable ironing table I made from an old wooden TV tray.
I simply cannot believe what a difference it makes in pressing blocks. The blocks I am working on are for the Boxes of Strings quilt a long and with all those seams and a muslin backing...well it wasn't going well. Especially since I was using my little travel iron. (I have the whole piecing "sweatshop" set up in my living room).
The wool mat does make a difference in the pressing, those blocks are much flatter than they were without the wool mat. And I am not using steam. If it works that well on a small homemade ironing table with a tiny travel iron, how great will it be on my big board with my big iron. So glad I bought the bigger piece.
Thank you to psdumas for sharing ecorugpads info with us,
Murphy, One Happy Quilter