Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . . >

Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . .

Any ideas on how to stop this male robin . . . .

Old 05-31-2018, 03:42 AM

We have one of these crazy cardinals also. If he's not banging his head into the office window at least 20 times in a row, he goes to the dining room window, to my husbands work shop, or down to the shed where the tractor trailer and tractors are stored. In the house I can lower the blinds, but then I don't get the sunlight and after being in the house so long after the winter I miss the warmth of the sunlight. Personally I think this bird has a mental problem!! I call him "Crazy Bird".
Old 05-31-2018, 04:25 AM

My problem was a Cardinal who did that every day. I read that when a Cardinal comes to visit, it means a friend or family member, who has passed ,is close-by. After that I would always say "hello Diane" to a dear friend who died suddenly and I miss so much. After I said it the bird left and has not been back to attack my windows but still comes to my yard when I'm out there. I should add that I've been at this location for 30 years and perhaps saw 3 Cardinal's in all that time. I now see him/her, there are a pair of them, every day.
I also lost a nephew this Spring and he loved Bluebirds. Bluebirds have made a home in one of my birdhouse so I can watch them from close-by. I feel Kevin sent them to me to bring me happiness.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:36 AM

I don’t know if this would work, but You might try placing a plastic owl (a available at a hardware store) close to your window.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Suz

You all have given me some good ideas and I thank you. I am going to WalMart tomorrow and will seek a few snakes. Actually, it is more than just one window. We have a triple window in the living room, the panes are large and a smaller one in my sewing room. The latter is the one most often visited now, although during mating season he visited all of them.

I'll try the snakes and will talk to the local pet shop for their ideas. -- Interesting that not one of you suggested "murder" which I have felt as I clean up the mess several times a week. It is really hard getting the mess off the brick.

Roberta, I am so sorry for the death of your beloved friend and nephew. My husband died last year. Do you think John has sent this robin? I'll speak to this robin and tell him enough and see if this helps. Blessings.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:11 AM

I do. After my husband died, mourning doves built a nest in the wreath on my front door. This had never happened before. Messy, but I loved seeing the babies in the nest. They did it for several years after he died.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:31 AM

I'm not sure the decals for the window would do the trick for a bird who is attacking his reflection. The decals do work to let birds know they can't fly through there, as happens at my patio door pretty often.
Last year two hummingbirds were chasing each other, male and female, and crashed into the glass door. Killed them both. I found them lying on the deck, about a foot apart. I was very upset.
Rubber snakes, or perhaps an owl cutout, from black construction paper, might help.
Good luck! We have had male orioles bloody their heads by attacking the kitchen window so violently.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Put a big picture of a hungry cat in the window!! good luck. some birds never learn.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:35 AM

I don't know how long he would hang around, but maybe we could just let him be. They are migratory to some degree and sooner or later he'll be on his way. If you wait until he's gone, you only have to hose down the window sill once! Good luck with him. Mother nature takes some tending to I guess.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Last year I finally hung lace curtains under the longer drapes in my picture window to stop the crazy bird from trying to kill himself. It was the only thing that worked for me.

Jan in VA
Old 05-31-2018, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I've had a young robin pecking at my windows too. What a mess! I go out with a container of dish soap & water with a stiff brush. Hopefully he will get tired of this routine! :/