Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area >

Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

Planning a move ... setting up sewing/quilting area

Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
Don't build your daily workspace around what others might think. Your home is not a stage to be set; it's a space to be lived in and used to its very best advantage for YOU. Use it the way that makes your heart happy. Everyone else can do what they want at THEIR house. Enjoy your large, bright space!
Totally agree - enjoy your home the way you want it!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 AM

I agree...it's your space..life's too short to worry about what anyone will think.
I have a sewing table set up in my living room, because that's where the tv and fireplace are!I do the majority of my quilting in the winter. In the warmer months I cut and sometimes piece a bit. I have my fabric storage and cutting table in a spare bedroom.I have an ironing board in both spaces, but the living room one I fold and put away when not in use.
I find that 99% of people love to see what's on my sewing table when they come here. The other 1% would find fault with any arrangement I had, so I pay them no mind. If it works for you, fits in your life, adds enjoyment...go for it!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Please arrange your room to make it the most comfortable and usable for YOU. I took my dining room and turned it into a room for my long arm, hubby and I always eat in the kitchen. It works great for me and everyone who comes to visit loves to see what I'm working on. Go for it and have fun. Brenda
Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM

I agree with the others - make your home any way you want it. When our daughters moved out we decided to make some changes. When you walk into my house the first room is my DH's music/computer area (he has a full drum set and piano and his computer desk). Originally it was the front room or sitting room. The smaller of the two bedrooms is a guest room and the other is my sewing room. We have a large family/tv room which has a large tv and connected to the stereo so we have surround sound. It's far from fancy but it is comfortable for us and we have no trouble getting people that come to visit and enjoy it with us.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:52 PM

I understand your situation...We just built a new home and I went bk/forth as to what rm would be used as a gst rm.
The small or larger...Smaller being near full bth, other you needed to walk across the loft. I worried and worried wanting my gsts to be happy and then realized it's my hse and if they don't like the smaller rm they don't have to come back or can stay at a hotel. I decided the larger rm would house my sewing stuff and the gsts got cozy as I saw it near bthrm. Had gsts and they didn't mind the cozy at all and liked being near the bthrm. Gone are the days of worrying abt what others want and think...IT'S NOW ALL ABT ME!!!! YOU DO THE SAME!!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM

Do what pleases you. I too am planning to move in the next 2-3 months. The house is big and in need of alot of tlc. I cannot wait. If you need the space, take it. It seems that this time in our lives after raising our children for them to fly out of the nest, we need to take care of ourselves, wants and needs.
I wish you luck in your decicions.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:04 PM

Go for the big, bright, sunny room. I just moved one of my machines into the living room and am now spending more time talking to my husband as I sew. People come and what they see is the machine and the project I am working on. Everything is neat and tidy and right where I want it. Have fun in your new home and do things the way they work for you.