Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Unbelievable find >

Unbelievable find

Unbelievable find

Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 AM
Power Poster

Back in the day when this was made, people used up everything to make their quilts. They weren’t as picky about fiber as we are today.
I see beautiful old quilts and tops at estate sales all the time. The quilter dies and no one else in the family values their quilts. It is sad. Did the lady tell you any kind of story about this quilt top?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Back in the day when this was made, people used up everything to make their quilts. They weren’t as picky about fiber as we are today.
I see beautiful old quilts and tops at estate sales all the time. The quilter dies and no one else in the family values their quilts. It is sad. Did the lady tell you any kind of story about this quilt top?
only that she had acquired it to finish and was now destashing.

Im determined to finish it but might need some help. I’m going to call my long arm lady and see if she can quilt it, if so then I just need to repair the rips, which might be easier said than done as I see the white fabric used is quite the frayer.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm so glad you snatched up that pretty top. It's just a fact that things aren't treasured by some people the way they are with us.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:47 AM

I do hope you got it, it looks in great shape, at least it will go to someone who can appreciate it!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Sew glad that you got the quilt. Be sure to take us with you on your journey with this quilt. BrendaK
Old 06-15-2018, 03:18 PM

What a treasure you now have! Good luck with finishing it and let us know how it goes!
Old 06-15-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Im determined to finish it but might need some help. I’m going to call my long arm lady and see if she can quilt it, if so then I just need to repair the rips, which might be easier said than done as I see the white fabric used is quite the frayer.
I have two tops I've acquired from estate sales still in my ufo pile. One is a Dresden plate pattern. All the plates were done, and about 1/2 were kind of sewed together. I took it apart, bought new sashing and fray checked the edges because the edges were not turned. It's still in the closet.

The one I finished, I took apart and put together sections more than one time. I wanted it wider, but it did not lend itself to widening. It had left over pieces I wanted to add. It was too red in some areas and too blue in others. It wasn't square. I ripped and sewed and ripped again. Then I took this off and added that. I took it apart in the middle and turned it around. Then, I didn't have enough backing fabric after all that, so I bought some more and it didn't match.

All this to say, start out knowing that you can't make it perfect. Also know that fixing and finishing another's quilt is sometimes harder than starting from scratch. You cannot fix all of the mistakes. Although it took me a while, I finally decided to accept it like it is and quit fretting about it. It is now what I call my "picnic" quilt. I'm keeping it for me and l still like it, even if it's it's a long way from perfect. It was also the first quilt I quilted on my dsm with a walking foot. I figured it was going to be a picnic quilt, so I could use it to learn on. I did and am still happy with it.

Oh, on the white part fraying, check out Fray Check.

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1769.aJPG.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	596016  
Old 06-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]595950[/ATTACH]T
this quilt top is listed at my local cl for 30 dollars. Needs a few fixes and to be finished but, wow! Is it just me or is it nuts to find a king sized epp quilt top for 30 bucks? There were several other handmade quilts, ranging in price from 50-200 bucks, beautiful quilts! How can this be? All that work...

i hope im able to get this lovely treasure. I’d like to finish it.
Hope you get it, that took an unbelievable amount of work
Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 AM

WISH YOU ALL THE luCK!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I have two tops I've acquired from estate sales still in my ufo pile. One is a Dresden plate pattern. All the plates were done, and about 1/2 were kind of sewed together. I took it apart, bought new sashing and fray checked the edges because the edges were not turned. It's still in the closet.

The one I finished, I took apart and put together sections more than one time. I wanted it wider, but it did not lend itself to widening. It had left over pieces I wanted to add. It was too red in some areas and too blue in others. It wasn't square. I ripped and sewed and ripped again. Then I took this off and added that. I took it apart in the middle and turned it around. Then, I didn't have enough backing fabric after all that, so I bought some more and it didn't match.

All this to say, start out knowing that you can't make it perfect. Also know that fixing and finishing another's quilt is sometimes harder than starting from scratch. You cannot fix all of the mistakes. Although it took me a while, I finally decided to accept it like it is and quit fretting about it. It is now what I call my "picnic" quilt. I'm keeping it for me and l still like it, even if it's it's a long way from perfect. It was also the first quilt I quilted on my dsm with a walking foot. I figured it was going to be a picnic quilt, so I could use it to learn on. I did and am still happy with it.

Oh, on the white part fraying, check out Fray Check.

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596016[/ATTACH]

It looks very usable. The kind of quilt that it's "okay" to use for a picnic or let the kids play with or snuggle under on the couch .

I have learned - from experience - that sometimes it is easier to "walk on by" - than to try to rescue/salvage every thing "quilty" that crosses one's path.

Usually a project is abandoned for a reason - it isn't coming out right or the maker decides she/he just does not want to deal with it any more. Or the next generation just does not want to deal with it. Better sold for a pittance than put in the trash.

I don't even like to "rescue" my own projects! Sometimes I've learned a lot from some of them - usually how not to do something - or I can look at my current projects and think "You've come a long way, baby!" and be pleased at the progress I have made.