Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking - rumor or? >

Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

Old 06-19-2018, 04:18 AM

This is not a rumor. My Viking SE needed a sensor replaced about 7 yrs ago and had it repaired with no problems. Last month it needed another sensor but dealer told me might as well "junk it" that sensors for Viking unavailable and if they were able to find one it would cost more than the machine was worth. Junked it for parts. So sad.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 AM

I can relate to your comment, not only to sewing machines, but to all machines these days. My washer died last week and a "repairman" came out to check on it. I should have spared myself $100.00 and gotten a new washer. (it is being delivered today.) I have decided that, once something "goes", one should just junk it and try to find a comparable replacement. I am hanging on to my 1958 Singer 401A as it still sews like a dream. I also own a featherweight.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:24 AM

It seems to me that there used to be a lot more pride in craftsmanship and quality. These days, most things seem to be designed to be disposable. And you know that businessmen are laughing all the way to the bank, because they're counting on your repeat business. God help our children because one day the world will be one huge landfill.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:43 AM

[I]t's sad that the quality is not important anymore. I bought a machine for parts and when I took it in for repair, they said maybe they could get the part. When I told them I had one for parts, the repairman said it would cost double as he had to take the old one apart to get to the needed part. Lucky he was able to get the part. The machine is a Pfaff 1222 and I have had it since 1970. Still sews like a dream. Wish I could say that about my newer machines.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM

We have a 22 year old car that has not been sold in North America in several years. It cost me over $200 and 3 months yo have the fan switch replaced. It is not a generic part, but specific to that model of car.

We were close to not being able to drive it during the winter as we could not defog the windows.

The same applies to sewing machines, some parts are generic and some specific to a model. The model specific ones eventually are no longer available.

How many years do you drive a car before trading it in or having major repairs? I have a 30 year old Kenmore that is still going strong, but any future repair is likely to be more than I paid for her, assuming parts are available.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM

I bought a Pfaff 1471 in the early 80's. I needed the threader hook replaced a few years ago and heard my repair guy say, "yep, I can still get that part". Gave me a chill, so I bought a Pfaff Quilt expression at clearance prices. Sure enough, the motherboard went on my 1471 a few months later and it looks like it can't be repaired. I bought a featherweight, and began restoration of my mom's treadle.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:19 AM

I have had machines Diamond for about 10 years and never had it serviced been good to me, the other machines I have all viking are less then 5 years old, I did have to get Opal 690Q fix due to my own fault with the walking foot not on the shank correctly. I do agree with others that moving forward with this trade war stuff parts for many things will take longer as technicians do not keep stock. The technician may be planting a seed, but if your thinking about moving up your machine do your homework to get a good deal, I would not trade in my work horse machine.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:02 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I'll be calling my sister to share what has been mentioned here...
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
I have the SE which I purchased in 2007...I think that was the last model made in Sweden. I LOVE IT and have never had any issues w/having things fixed. I also have a Lily I bought in 2000 and still going strong.

The problem in switching brands once you have a particular brand is that you've put so much money into software, feet, hoops etc...there's no turning back. So if anything happens to my "dear SE" I'd have to spring for the newest Husq so all those supplies would work w/it.
Nope, my Viking Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweeden. It the info in the book and on the box where it was made. Lots of companies have things made overseas, even the ones that say American made normally have lots of parts made all over the place.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Nope, my Viking Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweeden. It the info in the book and on the box where it was made. Lots of companies have things made overseas, even the ones that say American made normally have lots of parts made all over the place.
That the Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweden is good news to me. That is what I have since losing my Designer I in a tornado.