Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Really basic cross stitch question. >

Really basic cross stitch question.

Really basic cross stitch question.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM

Lots of opinions! and a lot of cross stitchers … I have always used 2 strands through the eye and left a tail on the back when starting a new thread/color … as I start the cross's I make sure to cover over the tail on the back and that has always kept it in place. I have never had a problem. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM

My DGM showed me how to cross stitch and she always used two strands sometimes three through the needle. I always have used two.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
This short video might help you -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sbriH8KUQ
In the video the instructor says to measure to your elbow. I find that is just too short for me and I get frustrated having to rethread so frequently. Another video I watched said to cut at 36 in. and fold, and another said cut at 18 inches. So my advice on length of thread: play around with it until you find the length that you work with the best. I would start with the shortest one (to elbow) and gradually increase by 2 - 4" until you get to the point where you say, "Oops, this is too long". Sort of like Goldilocks finding her length of thread that is "just right".
Have fun - I love to embroider.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott View Post
I'm getting ready to start my first cross stitch project but there's one thing I don't understand and it's so basic that books and blogs don't mention it. I understand that you put a strand through the needle and double it over. But when the instructions say "Use two strands," does that mean to put one strand through the needle and double it, thus the "two strands" go through the fabric? Or do you actually use two strands through the needle, ending up with four strands going through the fabric?

I assume it's the first example and I'm just over-thinking the second example, but it worries me.

Tate
Hi, I am a long time cross stitcher. When a pattern says use 2 strands, you have 2 strands passing through the fabric as you describe above. Rarely would you ever have 4 strands going through the fabric, only if the fabric had a very low count like 8-count. I’m assuming that you are aware that floss comes in a skein where 6 strands are twisted together. Typically one would cut a piece about 18 inches and pull out each strand individually. The method you describe above using a single strand and doubling it over is a common technique to use to achieve a double strand, as it allows you to secure the thread at the back of your work by making use of the loop. There are some good utube videos on cross stitch techniques to help you get started with confidence. Some basic tenets of cross stitching:
- do not knot your thread to secure at beginning or end, instead use the loop method to secure at beginning if possible, otherwise weave the thread under other stitches to secure.
- keep a consistent tension
- don’t travel too far
- be consistent in the direction of your stitches, how they lie on top of each other