2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-28-2018, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Just a lurker's curiosity... Did anyone participating in this moratorium stick with the program?
That is a good question and YES, we mean to behave. This moratorium has been going for a few years. You should have seen us early on. It almost became a quest to see what we could get away with. Since then, we have (collectively) buttoned down on our fabric purchases and we do fess up to falls. A few years ago, I would not have left a quilt show with a few FQs - it would have been YARDS and YARDS of "oh isn't it pretty and I just gotta have it" fabrics.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Kristakz, u r good to go, girl. 1. Birthday exemption. 2. Hombre = neutrals (and everyone needs neutrals in their stash). 3. Fabric for a specific project = OBW. 4. Saving a friend from over-shopping. You need a metal for restraint. lol
Oh, MadQuilter, this made me laugh out loud. But the last thing I need is encouragement to justify my purchases Trying desperately now to put a lid on this and climb back on the wagon. (But my friend wants another road trip, and she obviously needs supervision
Old 06-28-2018, 02:25 PM

Kristakz, u r good to go, girl. 1. Birthday exemption. 2. Hombre = neutrals (and everyone needs neutrals in their stash). 3. Fabric for a specific project = OBW. 4. Saving a friend from over-shopping. You need a metal for restraint. lol
You forgot the Travel Exemption...LOL

Rob
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Just a lurker's curiosity... Did anyone participating in this moratorium stick with the program?
Hey Sewbiz- well, we stick to the program with varying degrees of success and have a lot of fun doing so. Everyone has different ideas about what they want to get out of the moratorium and it's fun coming with exemptions that people can use ... but seriously, it has been a big help to me in managing my fabric purchases...

Rob
Old 06-28-2018, 04:52 PM

I joined late, but have curtailed my purchases tremendously since joining. So far only a needed backing and binding for one quilt and half yard of a pretty brown for a horse quilt that will be delivered tomorrow. I even resisted buying more of that brown for the binding. Did a 2 color one from other leftovers. So, yes, I am doing okay.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I really shouldn't be showing my face here. I'm been on a bender this year haha
Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM

Yes! I have been very careful not to buy any fabric since January 1st. I am a little very old lady with tons of fabric in boxes all over the place, and a whole closet full of batting. I am trying to make quilts as quickly as possible because I know that if I could make a quilt a day (which, of course, I can't), I have enough fabric to last at least 30 years and I'm 80! I don't think I'll make it that long, but I am trying!!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If “sticking with the program” means never buying any fabric, probably not. If it means loking through what you have before buying, yes for sure. I have bought fabrics that were really needed to finish quilts for which I already had 80% of what I needed, that is a win. And one or two splurges can keep you on track the balance of the time. It’s like an eating plan.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:25 AM

That is a good question and YES, we mean to behave. This moratorium has been going for a few years. You should have seen us early on. It almost became a quest to see what we could get away with. Since then, we have (collectively) buttoned down on our fabric purchases and we do fess up to falls. A few years ago, I would not have left a quilt show with a few FQs - it would have been YARDS and YARDS of "oh isn't it pretty and I just gotta have it" fabrics.
I have not bought any new fabric for 2 yrs now. I WILL use up that stash someday!
Old 06-29-2018, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Dang, ka9sdn - that is amazing.

I have to admit that I am not remotely interested to be THAT WELL-BEHAVED coz I do like fabric shopping, but I do tip my hat to those who stick to their convictions. Mine is more like a "bring it back to some sense of reasonable"