2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 07-02-2018, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Conchalea View Post
I didn’t spend any $$, but my stash increased yesterday thanks to my daughter. She made a few quilts then lost interest in it. I think it’s due to their middle son & his former wife losing twins before birth. My daughter made two matching baby quilts but ended up giving them to co-workers after the loss of the babies & the end of the marriage. There are some completed blocks & quite a few batik FQs. The fabric filled a plastic bag. She also had an old hand-sewn top made, I think, by my paternal grandmother. I took that along with 2 queen-size batts & a smaller roll of batting. Now to work out where to put them & when to sew. My daughter doesn’t feel joy in this any more so I’ll try to finish some of her starts & give them back to her. That way she can still enjoy the fabric she picked out.
My heart hurts for your daughter, her son and her ex-DIL. It is such a hard time for them. How sad. My prayers go out for them for God's peace beyond understanding.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I was hoping this thread would have people showing the quilts they make from their stashes. Do y'all ever do that?
I've tried to do that a couple of times...but then you've probably seen mine elsewhere I'm planning a queen sized quilt from stash right now for a dear friend...and GD#3 has chosen some fabric from stash so we can work on one together. I hope to have some sewing time for the rest of the summer.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JakesMama View Post
NZquilter, I agree. Unless this board devises a 12-step program, there is no hope for me. But I have cut down, simply because I am out of space to put any more fabric.
I prefer to look at it more like the Weight Watcher program where you get to still enjoy yourself, you just can't eat the whole pizza (or buy the whole lot). Many of us came at this from the same reason - we are out of space - and I for one am doing MUCH better in the fabric purchase arena.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
My heart hurts for your daughter, her son and her ex-DIL. It is such a hard time for them. How sad. My prayers go out for them for God's peace beyond understanding.
Thank you, Susan. I appreciate it.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

sewbizgirl: I have been slack on showing my stash quilts. I will add one as soon as I finish the top on my design wall.

Conchalea: My heart goes out to all of you. I can't imagine everyone's pain but I can certainly understand your daughter's lack of interest for now. I hope your finished quilts will help her through this rough time.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I feel like I could quilt off of just my scraps for years and years....

Same here, but then, most of my stash is scraps at this point LOL
Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 AM

Conchalea, I’m so sorry to hear about your family’s loss.

hugs,
Rob
Old 07-04-2018, 04:08 AM

Hi guys!! I just finished the bindings on 3 baby quilts! They were all made of scraps from stash! The backings from that sheet I accidently bought that were mislabeled from the thrift store (It was labeled as a full size one, but was a queen one that I couldn't use) and the batting was dug out of my closet. I have one more to go to fill my goal at the VQW. I'm gonna make my goal!!! Yippie!!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 AM

Congratulations on meeting your goals for VQW Silly Susan and using your stash to do it!

Rob
Old 07-04-2018, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Online shopping makes it too easy for me to shop!
I rarely go to quilt shops and I don't spend a lot of money as a rule so I don't feel a bit guilty about buying fabric and quilty stuff.
On the other hand, I don't like a really big stash because I get overwhelmed by it. Been there done that!
My big splurge on a regular basis is having my hair done and a massage sometimes.