Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Another telemarker call this morning >

Another telemarker call this morning

Another telemarker call this morning

Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ellen 1 View Post
This does not always help either. When people move they retain their phone number on their cell phones. Gone are the days you had specific prefixes for specific areas of town where you lived. Now your friends may be calling but still show an out of state call.

Also it depends on what cell tower the call is bouncing off of. My brother used to call me (lived 50 miles south of me) and the town that showed up on my caller ID was 50 miles north of me. Interesting.
True, but if it's someone I know they'll leave a message.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:38 PM

I think we're all just stuck with those frustrating calls! We are listed in the do not call registry. We also have caller ID. Like most others, I don't answer any number I don't recognize. We have blocked all incoming unavailable, unknown, etc. I also block the repeat number calls that come in about our mortgage, credit cards, etc. Any message they leave is easily erased. Most times DH doesn't hear the phone ring anyway. Political calls are exempt from the do not call registry, but once they start their message about who they are calling on behalf of, I answer and ask to be removed from their calling list. That has worked also.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
I tell them to call my DH at his office. I then give them the non emerg. number for the police or a number to Walmart. It seems to work for awhile. LOL
Just don't pull a number out of thin air. Sometimes that number belongs to someone who does not want to be bothered with that many calls.

When I was a teen, someone kept calling and asking for "Lulu". Clearly she'd given him a fake number to get him off her back. Nothing Mom said convinced him to stop calling. Finally a friend of ours was there and answered the call. "Lulu's in her room with a customer. Call back in about 15 minutes." He never called again.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 AM

Oh, goodness, I am still giggling out loud. Thanks for the morning morning smile. Juggling cats! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha The picture in my head is just too silly.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:28 AM

At one point we were getting harassed on an almost hourly basis for days on end with telemarketing calls. I tracked each of the numbers. We were already on the Do Not Call list. It was so horrible I actually contacted the FCC to lodge a formal complaint. I was told by the very nice gentleman there that there was virtually nothing that could be done their end - at least at that time due to various regulations - as the telemarketers would simply change numbers, etc. His advice was to simply not talk to them. He said the more you 'responded' (i.e., letting them ramble while doing other things; giving them false info; etc.) was feeding into their (telemarketer's) systems simply by extending the duration of the call.

As soon as Nomorobo became available I jumped on that like white on rice! It is free for landlines. They do charge a small monthly fee for cell phones. I can tolerate the 1 ring. The spoofers still get through by using fake local area codes and exchanges but I let them go to the machine. Yep. No message. What really ticks me off about the spoofers is they will frequently spoof numbers of people or businesses that I Do deal with/want to speak to. That part Really ticks me off!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-11-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 07-11-2018, 05:02 AM

I just saw a suggestion on Facebook. Answer the phone " with the name of your city, police department, fraud department."
Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 AM

yea, me ,too. I'm 73, why would I have a student loan ? I told them my identity had been stollen(which it was ) and the Sheriff's dept is monitoring my calls. that stopped them.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
The only problem I have with not answering is that they keep calling and calling and calling. Lately I have had some luck by answering the calls. If it is a recording, I wait it out and at the end of their recording, there is a message to dial "2" or whatever to be taken off the list. If it is a live person, I tell them I am not interested; please take me off the call list. It isn't foolproof, but it has reduced the number of calls I get substantially.
I have a feature on my landline phone that lets me easily block phone numbers. If that number calls again my phone will only ring once and "call blocked" appears on the phone's screen. We wait till there's a second ring before making any attempt to answer it. Helps a lot! We get at least 5 blocked calls a day but can now just ignore them without having to lift a finger.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
At one point we were getting harassed on an almost hourly basis for days on end with telemarketing calls. I tracked each of the numbers. We were already on the Do Not Call list. It was so horrible I actually contacted the FCC to lodge a formal complaint. I was told by the very nice gentleman there that there was virtually nothing that could be done their end - at least at that time due to various regulations - as the telemarketers would simply change numbers, etc. His advice was to simply not talk to them. He said the more you 'responded' (i.e., letting them ramble while doing other things; giving them false info; etc.) was feeding into their (telemarketer's) systems simply by extending the duration of the call.

As soon as Nomorobo became available I jumped on that like white on rice! It is free for landlines. They do charge a small monthly fee for cell phones. I can tolerate the 1 ring. The spoofers still get through by using fake local area codes and exchanges but I let them go to the machine. Yep. No message. What really ticks me off about the spoofers is they will frequently spoof numbers of people or businesses that I DO deal with/want to speak to. That part REALLY ticks me off!
Never heard of Nomorobo. How do I get it?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 AM

I cancelled the land line service from ATT because it became expensive and unreliable. It would go out everytime it rained, then take two weeks before repairs were done. I signed up for VOIP (voice over internet) from my cable company. I signed up for Nomorerobo and that did help for awhile. Then I bought a VOIP router from a company called Ooma. It cost about one hundred dollars from Costco. I am technically challenged but it was easy to hook it up to the phone. It answers the phone after three rings and the caller can leave a message. I turned off the phone ringer and check once or twice a day for messages online at the Ooma site. The phone is blessedly quiet now. The monthly service from Ooma is free, all you pay are the State and local taxes, in my case less than five dollars a month. I would get rid of the land line completely but my MIL lives with us and she can't figure out cell phones.