Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Have a yard/garage sale or donate? >

Have a yard/garage sale or donate?

Have a yard/garage sale or donate?

Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM

Yard sales can be fun but they take a lot of time and energy. Since the 2008 crash people seem to be buying less and paying less for it. People want to see prices but of coarse do still offer less. The comment that if you want it gone to concentrate on that is good advice. You will not get the price that you feel you should. I have just sold good bone china cups and saucers for $1.00 a set. The earlier in the year you have the sale, the better. By the end of summer you will have lookers but not buyers. At least here that is how it goes. It can be heart wrenching to see people walk by your 'stuff' and show no interest or to offer you what amounts to an insult of a price so be prepared for that.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I will stop for a good yard sale but I will never have another one. The people are rude, stuff gets stolen, kids run wild, but those aren't the real reason. The last yard sale my sew group had a man made a scene and about no wheel chair ramp to get on the two step raised porch where the items were. He said his wife couldn't shop and it was discrimination of the handicap and to leave her in the van while he shopped was a disgrace and we should be ashamed. He ranted about a no handicap parking spot too! I finally said call the police or leave or I will call the police. He said he was leaving but we would be hearing from his lawyer. We never did but we felt that people were only going to find something to be able to sue, so we voted no more yard sales.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 PM

It's way too much work for the return. That said, when it's time to downsize my stash (which is epic) and my extensive collection of vintage quilt tops and antique quilts, I will have a quilters' sale and sell the fabric by the pound. I probably will give a lot of stuff ahead of time to the nonprofit I am part of, Quilts from the Heart.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 PM

We are moving and downsizing after living in the same house for 27 years. My mother lived with us for 7 years, so I had my stuff and her stuff. We had a massive garage sale and made a very nice profit of $1,757. We did sell some large furniture and an expensive bike. Then we donate the rest to thrift shops. But it go to be very hard to donate. One charity didn't want any holiday stuff, one wouldn't take furniture, one wanted no clothing and several said they were full and couldn't take anything. Some nice stuff went to the dump because we could not get rid of it. Thank goodness the local quilting guild took all the fabric because I would have been heartbroken to have to throw away fabric.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I’ve found some really good charities that I take my things to and I never have regretted it. No more Goodwill because they throw the most beautiful stuff in the Pound Store. I love shopping at the that store but I take my stuff to others.
Actually, this is what I meant to say. I also donate to two thrift stores which are run by churches for good of our community. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I’ve found some really good charities that I take my things to and I never have regretted it. No more Goodwill because they throw the most beautiful stuff in the Pound Store. I love shopping at the that store but I take my stuff to others.
Actually, this is what I meant to say. I also donate to two thrift stores which are run by churches for good of our community. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:50 AM

Garage sales are done best if the whole neighborhood is doing it. Price stuff cheap unless you wish to have it left over. I have one about every 4-5 years. Take advantage of free advertising and put up easy to read signs on the day - can’t stress this enough. In our area, Spring or early Summer is the best time.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:49 PM
mac

I used to love having garage sales and made pretty good money from them. I made over $900 on a couple of them and I didn't think that was so bad for a week's worth of work and a weekend of bargaining with people. Now, however, people want to sell what you are selling on the web and want your stuff for next to nothing so that they can make a profit.

So now I just take my things to ARF or the thrift store, which is fine by me. No fuss, no muss. What my problem is now is that I have a lot of collectable teapots and teacups and I really hate parting with them without getting some of the money that I have put into them back. It is almost a 50 year collection and I just can't seem to give them away just yet. Then I remind myself, that when I die, I can't take them with me. And don't get me started on my fabric collection...LOL
Old 07-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post

So now I just take my things to ARF or the thrift store, which is fine by me. No fuss, no muss. What my problem is now is that I have a lot of collectable teapots and teacups and I really hate parting with them without getting some of the money that I have put into them back. It is almost a 50 year collection and I just can't seem to give them away just yet. Then I remind myself, that when I die, I can't take them with me. And don't get me started on my fabric collection...LOL
Have you thought about taking your teacups to a consignment shop? There are antique consignment shops in our area also. You set the price and if they don't sell in a reasonable time, you can arrange to take them back home. Or, try Amazon or eBay to sell. Just a thought... I have some antique stuff also that I'd hate to give to thrift shops because they may not understand their value.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Learned that Goodwill is NOT A CHARITY ORGANIZATION. We have made it's founder a multi millionaire each year.
He donates l% to charity, the rest goes in his pocket after paying his workers a measly salary. Salvation Army CEO on takes $13,000 in salary. SO THEY GET ALL OF OUR DONATIONS.
I won't donate or shop at Goodwill. I do Salvation Army. I use to work in one of the stores when I was young. The profits go to helping not lining pockets. It is one charity group I trust.