Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt backing >

quilt backing

quilt backing

Old 07-20-2018, 03:01 AM

I use washable school glue. I squiggle it on my batting in a zig zag pattern and then put my backing on top of that smoothing it with my hand. I let that dry, flip it over and repeat the process for the front. It can also be done in sections using a smaller surface. I do have to wash it after it is quilted but I do that anyway. I have a high effeciency washer and have found that it helps to use a soak cycle first to help dissolve the glue but I've never had any issue with the glue not coming out. No mess, no fumes, inexpensive.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:34 AM

Once I discovered basting spray, the world changed for me. No more crawling around on the floor with pins or hand-basting all over and then still getting wrinkly and pleated backs. I use my dining room table, lay out the backing, batting on top of that and then the front. I lift up layers from the corners and spray towards the middle of the quilt then pat it down. Haven't had a single pleat ever since.
Welcome to the board!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 AM

As a new quilter, I also had the same problem. I experimented with the basting spray and I have not gone back to pin basting. I NEVER had wrinkles on the back of my work again. I use the basting spray from JoAnns, Spray-n-Bond. It is about $16 a can but I get it when I have a 50% off coupon and I can do at least 3 - 4 large throw sized quilts. (I have learned that you don't need to spray as much as one would think to do the trick.) The spray does not gum up my needle and does not have the hated strong chemical smell. I would suggest giving it a try. Tape down your backing, then layer using the spray baste on each layer. Perfect work every time. Often the question is asked if you leave the quilt for a span of time will it still hold the layers together. Yes! And it washes out like a dream when the quilt gets its first bath.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 07-20-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:20 PM

Per the info on JAF online, Spray and Bond is a permanent bond. 505 is a temporary adhesive.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM

I do really like the 505 spray - its great.. BUT I can't afford to buy that. I have been using washable school glue for a little while now and I have had good luck with it.

I am still working out getting the mix consistancy but now I use 50/50 with water and its been washing out great and no wrinkles or creases in my quilt backings
Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 PM

I bought a gallon bottle of Elmer's washable school glue for less than the cost of 1 can of 505. I dillute it with about a cap full (or a little less) of glue to 1 spray bottle of water, shake, shake, shake, & spray it on. As long as I wash out the sprayer when I'm done, it works great. At this rate, I will be as old as dirt when I get to the bottom of this gallon jug.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:10 AM

I had this happen with a quilt after I spray-basted it. Took it apart and decided I had stretched the backing too tight when I clamped it to the table. Tried reclamping with the backing smooth but not pulled as tight and it worked out better.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:42 AM

I use a sheet of light plywood on the top of my ironing board since I can no longer get on the floor. I can tape the quilt (or not) and then glue or pin paste it. If I need a larger area, I use two ironing boards side by side.