Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt backing >

quilt backing

quilt backing

Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Angry quilt backing

I am a new quilter and the first quilts I did worked out fine. The last two after the quilt sandwich was pinned the backing was all wrinkly. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks, Moses
Old 07-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

You can get some movement with pin basting. I prefer either 505 basting spray or Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. I have been experimenting with the Elmer's washable school glue basting and it turned out well but I had to wash the quilt in warm soapy water to remove the glue when the quilt was finished.
Making the quilt sandwich can be a pain and you can sometimes find a longarmer who will baste the sandwich for a small charge. Good Luck finding a method that will work for you.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Welcome to the boards from Texas. Hope you enjoy this forum & get lots of help with your questions during your quilting journey.

I pull the backing taunt to the floor & then tape it down with masking tape or sealing tape all along the edges. Then I layer my batting on top of it & then my quilt top. Then I pin it all together. This seems to help me & was the first way I learned how to sandwich a quilt. Basting spray is a big help also.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

If you use basting spray, use it lightly. It only takes a light spray to hold. Also be sure to let it dry before quilting. I usually wait about a day.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

yes spray basting spray like hair spray, not like spray paint. fine mist. I'm not sure how you laid your quilt out to baste it. i use tables and lay mine out, then take a six foot board and flip the top over it a bit and fold it over and over. then spray it and then unflip the top and lightly hand press as I go along. then do the other side. then flip it all over and do the same to the back. I do have two quilts pin basted but keep ignoring them. i do not want to quilt them. i hate pin basting. i may take the pins out and spray it all. sigh.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:34 PM

What type of quilting are you doing? I’ve had major issues doing horizontal straight or wavy lines (I now know that it’s probably related to what direction/grain the backing was). How wrinkly? It’s normal for it to get a little bit crinkled (since the batting is fluffy. It won’t look like it is freshly pressed with an iron), but it shouldn’t be bunched up.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 AM

I do nothing but pin basting and I've never had a problem, I do the tape it to the floor method that osewme described.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Are you using a different fabric this time around? Just wondering if that could be it.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I started pin basing my first bigger quilt and knew instantly I'm not doing this again. In fact I stopped before half way through and re sandwiched it with fusible batting. I now use the homemade basting recipe as it has no fumes, washes out completely, and very inexpensive to make. I use the new fine mister bottle. Here is the video how to make it if you are interested:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRrFGFXXfc
Old 07-19-2018, 08:49 AM

Thank you for posting one by one. I will try this next time.