Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--8/3-8/5/18 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--8/3-8/5/18

Virtual Quilting Weekend--8/3-8/5/18

Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM

I'm in! Trying to finish a comfort lap quilt for my son-in-law and have a couple of embroidery hopes-to-do.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 AM

Just finished these pillows for a friend. Note - I did Not do the mola applique work. They were purchased to support a mission team that works with the Kuna Indians from San Blas Islands (near Panama) and helps the native ladies make a living via their exquisite sewing skills. I was floored by their handwork, y'all. It is beyond words.

Anyway - I finished the 4 pillows today and will be delivering them tomorrow. I haven't been able to sit down & sew much lately due to family obligations including the passing of one of my dear brothers. It sure felt good to do a little sewing/quilting-therapy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598858[/ATTACH]
Blessings,
Donna Mc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	finished pillows.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	598858  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-05-2018 at 04:41 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-04-2018, 01:25 PM

I just got done making six microwave fabric bowls. This weekend I'm working on things to sell at a flea market. Looks like people are busy sewing also. Raining here in Plum City Wisconsin. Good weekend to sew and be in doors.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
such great projects - all of them! They get me motivated.... I am hoping to finish up my Seven Sisters quilt this weekend. All I have left are sewing on the half triangle ends then sewing the rows together! I am getting there. The biggest decision is going to be the border... I have a few ideas I just have to make a decision on how much more work I want to do
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598855[/ATTACH]
Meyert, this is gorgeous! Looks like you have invested a ton of work in it already, so go ahead and take your time making an exquisite border, too. Love it so far!

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Today is our 45th anniversary so we are going out to dinner tonight!
Happy Anniversary, QV!

Originally Posted by osewfast View Post
Just finished these pillows for a friend. NOTE - I did NOT do the mola applique work. They were purchased to support a mission team that works with the Kuna Indians from San Blas Islands (near Panama) and helps the native ladies make a living via their exquisite sewing skills. I was floored by their handwork, y'all. It is beyond words.

Anyway - I finished the 4 pillows today and will be delivering them tomorrow. I haven't been able to sit down & sew much lately due to family obligations including the passing of one of my dear brothers. It sure felt good to do a little sewing/quilting-therapy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]598858[/ATTACH]
Blessings,
Donna Mc
First of all, so very sorry for your loss, Donna.

The pillows are so beautiful! Did you buy the embroidered fabric from the Kuna Indians? That is some amazing work.

Originally Posted by beckyw View Post
I just got done making six microwave fabric bowls. This weekend I'm working on things to sell at a flea market. Looks like people are busy sewing also. Raining here in Plum City Wisconsin. Good weekend to sew and be in doors.
Hi Becky! I have made those bowl holders too. They are fun to make with big scraps.

I've been piecing away, and have finally got the Birthday swap mystery quilt all put together. I always have a hard time with on point settings! They confuse me. So I sewed a little, picked a little, sewed some more. Finally, it's done.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598864[/ATTACH]

Name:	IMG_4152.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	598864  
Old 08-04-2018, 06:39 PM

here's one I just finished--cheater cloth from Hancock's of Paducah with Glide thread (bright hexies) and then the string quilt is what I worked on today and is still on the quilting frame. The before is one of my wavey borders (one of those quilts that fought back the entire time) and the after is the border once starched, steamed and pinned. Quilted just fine. Have all the dark green thread quilted and will practice on the FMQ motifs for light blocks later tonight.[ATTACH=CONFIG]598880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598883[/ATTACH]

Name:	P1050832.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	778.4 KB
ID:	598880   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050826.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	711.8 KB
ID:	598881   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050827.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	598883  
Old 08-04-2018, 06:46 PM

I got off to a slow start. I decided I needed to get some fabric for my next project. I had most of it, but I had to get some background fabric so off to the Sewing Machine Warehouse I went.

I did manage to get all the foundation paper off my String Me Along top so now I'm going to have to do the borders and get some batting and maybe backing so I can get it sandwiched and quilted.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:06 AM

Well, I got about half of the 44 triple 4 patch blocks done for my Scrappy Club meeting coming up in a couple of weeks. I hope to finish them up today after church. Hope everyone is having a really productive weekend too.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 AM

I didn’t get as much sewing done yesterday as I’d hoped. I have the final strips with cornerstones on half of my blocks. I spent a good amount of time putting together a new power washer I bought on amazon, plus reading the instruction manual. I want to use it today, so I’m not sure I’ll finish my 16 blocks or not. I’m eager to use my new toy!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 AM

I got the binding on a couple more quilts, and attended my first quilt guild meeting. I enjoyed it enough I think I'll go back. I really liked the show and tell part, even if I didn't bring anything to show. I will next time!

Now to get back to binding. Since my Juki is in the shop, I'm doing it for the first time with my embroidery machine. I think I like sewing the binding on better with the Juki, but like topstitching the top side down better with the Destiny. We'll see how I feel about that after I get several more quilts bound.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 AM

Sewbizgirl, I will try to post my winning fair projects after I pick them up this evening. I had posted my "Up North" queen size quilt not so long ago. I am the most proud of that one as I am competing against those awesome longarmers out there by doing the quilting on my domestic machine. I actually think they should have separate categories for different quilting methods. Although, hand quilting is a separate entry as it definitely should be. It is hard to find any hand quilting at fairs these days. None at our fair except on small projects.