Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it Me? and Batting Prices >

Is it Me? and Batting Prices

Is it Me? and Batting Prices

Old 08-06-2018, 06:34 AM

OK you ladies scared me - retiring in January - have lots of fabric, not enough batting - went to WM site, bought Pellon Natural cotton batting w/scrim 96" x 9yds - have some now that I really like, ordered 5 and because I could wait on shipping I got a $10 credit! These are easy to store.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:49 AM

I have noticed this too. I might need to go back to how I quilted as a teen by buying thrift store duvet covers and mattress pads and unpicking the batting out to use. It wasn't fun but it certainly saved money! Either that or happily make quilt tops and save them all for 'one day'.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Cotton batting price hike

I know some of the food price jumps are because of adverse weather for farmers -- might cotton crops have been affected too? Or is this stuff even made here. .
Old 08-06-2018, 10:03 AM

I'm afraid it's not going to get any cheaper in the near future. Cotton grows in warm climates and most of the world’s cotton is grown in the U.S., Uzbekistan, the People’s Republic of China and India. Other leading cotton-growing countries are Brazil, Pakistan and Turkey. And since tariffs are being applied to most imports, well, lets just leave it at that.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM

My favorite batting is Dream Green Polyester. It is soft, doesn't shrink of course, doesn't pill, and priced reasonably. You can find it on amazon or fabric dot com. There are other places too, but I end up at one of these two places usually.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I'm afraid it's not going to get any cheaper in the near future. Cotton grows in warm climates and most of the world’s cotton is grown in the U.S., Uzbekistan, the People’s Republic of China and India. Other leading cotton-growing countries are Brazil, Pakistan and Turkey. And since tariffs are being applied to most imports, well, lets just leave it at that.
I, too, have enough fabric "til the cows come home" and probably enough batting as well. It's the charity quilt group that I'm concerned for. Like I said before, we may have to switch to polyester batting just to be able to afford what we do. We don't have any problem having enough fabric(imagine that) with everybody's stash, but batting is another issue and it has been our biggest expense.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-07-2018 at 02:25 AM. Reason: remove political statement
Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
My favorite batting is Dream Green Polyester. It is soft, doesn't shrink of course, doesn't pill, and priced reasonably. You can find it on amazon or fabric dot com. There are other places too, but I end up at one of these two places usually.
We purchase by the roll. Do you know if they carry it by the roll?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I have noticed this too. I might need to go back to how I quilted as a teen by buying thrift store duvet covers and mattress pads and unpicking the batting out to use. It wasn't fun but it certainly saved money! Either that or happily make quilt tops and save them all for 'one day'.
Or possibly use fleece for batting when there is a super-duper sale!
Old 08-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Lyric girl...thankyou! Re: amazon.ca , I've never bought anything on line before. Guess it's time l learned. Do you know if there is " duty" charged on shipments to Canada?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Here is an 80/20 premium 96x30yd roll batting alternative to Amazon (and a bit cheaper too):
https://www.heartbeatquilting.com/sh...s-x2058361.htm

edit to say that I have never shopped at heartbeatquilting.com, but they have good reviews.

Last edited by mindless; 08-06-2018 at 04:35 PM.